NFR Humor

Non-fishing related

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Kind of a fun thread - I had a cassette player stolen out of my VW Rabbit - reported it to the police. A few months later I get this phone call from the police station saying they'd recovered my cassett player and I could come pick it up. I told them thanks but toss it. It eats tapes. We had a good laugh.
Yea, but did you get your Creedence tapes and briefcase back?

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
The invention of the 8-track was the bane to the industry. Never had a problem with AM radio before 8-tracks. CD's were much better than tapes, especially in quality of music. Even the iPod is on it last legs of functional usability. AM/FM/SiriusXM/Spotify/iTunes/etc. and Blue Tooth streaming devices work great.
I remember the early portable and car CD players skipped a whole heck of a lot. That got better with later generations of CD players, but the relatively light, cheap and sturdy walkman was still king for all the lawn-mowing and CC running I did as a teenager.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
There's certainly a lot less roadside music recording tape trash these days with the advent of CD's and other devices.

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Folded over book of matches wedged between the 8 track and the player to hold the 8 track in place, scotch tape where it broke, clicking in the middle of songs...
Good times...
:)

It's been so long ,but I do remember what a pain an 8 track was , don't know if I ever did the matches or not . The cassette tapes were far better for sure , but I had the player eat a few , I think they got better as time went on . I still have all my cassette tapes ,and listen to them on occasion . Never have gave up my home cassette player . We also still have all our records , been thinking of getting a record player to listen to them again .

Last edited:

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
Years ago when I wanted to meet women in bars, I chatted with this beautiful brunette only to discover that she thought she was really hot sh_t.
I then looked at her and asked her when was the last time she waxed her upper lip. You should have seen the deflating look on her face.

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
In the way back machine (early 70s) I’d often park my Gremlin (yeah, I was hot shit) under the Viaduct (here in Seattle), leave the windows down, doors unlocked, 24 8 tracks and Pioneer deck in full view, and hop on the ferry for a couple days at home. No one ever vandalized or stole a thing.
Imagine that.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
In the way back machine (early 70s) I’d often park my Gremlin (yeah, I was hot shit) under the Viaduct (here in Seattle), leave the windows down, doors unlocked, 24 8 tracks and Pioneer deck in full view, and hop on the ferry for a couple days at home. No one ever vandalized or stole a thing.
Imagine that.
Mostly because it was a Gremlin. And there was no market for Lawrence Welk 8 track tapes.

No offense intended. I had a 71 Vega with an 8 track player, and nobody wanted to go near the thing...let alone steal anything. The only less respected vehicle than the Gremlin or Vega was the AMC Pacer (the 1970's precursor to the Nissan Pube).

Last edited:

RCF

Legend
Anyone still have their boom box?

SKR_700_-_VEB_Kombinat_Sternradio_Berlin.jpg

Campsites were filled with them competing to be the loudest...

Last edited:

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Mostly because it was a Gremlin. And there was no market for Lawrence Welk 8 track tapes.

No offense intended. I had a 71 Vega with an 8 track player, and nobody wanted to go near the thing...let alone steal anything. The only less respected vehicle than the Gremlin or Vega was the AMC Pacer (the 1970's precursor to the Nissan Pube).
By recent Japanese car standards the Pacer was quite graceful!

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I’ve probably heard (& enjoyed) every Gremlin joke, but it was actually a pretty good car. I was very unkind to it, having many epic episodes that I won’t bore you with. But, it started every time, never failed me and never broke down.
Back to your regular programming.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Re: mckrustyi

Hey i had a 71 Vega! But it had a Craig powerplay, 2 serially wired KLH 3ways strapped on the back seat and a big arse attache case full of deep purple boston led zep spooky tooth wishbone ash -canned heat pink floyd all mood music i drove slow with the windows down to maintain air flow