Recent content by Jmcj1984

1. J

Leather Spliced protectors

I to have some and they are very good quality and great price
  2. J

50ft Enough Line?

I recently bought a 50ft silk line and love it but it is simply to short for a 5w plant to sell it and buy a longer line ,silk line are great in general if you don’t mind the maintenance
  3. J

Trout Spey taper

Yes that it the one
  4. J

Trout Spey taper

Unfortunately he doesn’t let out off the box very much so no pictures allowed,but the general premise is you make a adjustable aluminum form that is 2 pieces much like a planning form but no grove you operate off the outer edges one edge is straight the other has the taper put in it with...
  5. J

Trout Spey taper

Yes one piece rods fell different / better is the casters opinion and sure there is some hassle with long one piece rods but it will fit in my car just fine . I have some graphite and bamboo one piece rods and really enjoy them ,it is more to try something different than need ,strangely when I...
  6. J

Trout Spey taper

I am using my buddies machine that uses taper cams like EC Powell did so you can make any length you want , I made a 12 ft taper cam for a Spey rod I am working on now ,there will be no splices or joints.He has many 12 plus foot bamboo sticks as well which is the hard part to find that long and...
  7. J

Trout Spey taper

Great thanks for the info ,this will be my first bamboo build,have made over a 100 normal rods so the finish work is easy the cane work is the tougher part but I have access to a bamboo rod shop with a lot of help from the owner. I also have 8 bamboo Spey rods currently but the smallest is a 5/6...
  8. J

Trout Spey taper

Anyone want to share some taper numbers for a bamboo trout Spey rod thanks
  9. J

What are you listening to?

Got a new record for Christmas Wardruna The White Raven definitely not for everyone but certainly for some tastes
  10. J

Rod Building The Rod Building Thread

That looks very nice well done, I have the same blank and strangely built it up to look like Saint Patrick’s day color scheme I don’t know why but at least it looks good one day a year
  11. J

Rod building station/Desk question

I would make it as nice as you want knowing you will eventually get tape glue thread sealer razor blade cuts and any other adhesive or sticky stuff on it ,mine is a nice wood top I just sand and refinish it every couple yrs
  12. J

Rod building station/Desk question

I have had 3 different set up over the years, started with a 3 ft by 4 ft table then a little longer now it is 2.5 wide by 13 ft long ,you don’t need it that long to wrap rods but that long helps when finishing spey rods and space underneath to put your legs when you are on a rolling chair with...
  13. J

Borodin nets

Borodin nets is closing up shop the remaining stock is on sale,I had to buy one more as 5 clearly was not helping catch more , this one should make all the difference
  14. J

Old Beauty

I to have a 9140 first Spey rod for me learned a lot with it, thought about selling it many time but could not do it,flexy soft limber and very fun I would say its very comparable to modern Spey bamboo either way I won’t ever sell it now
  15. J

North Umpqua closed 'til Dec 1

That is great we need to save our fish any way we can even at the expense of our enjoyment.Its funny how Odfw has no problem closing some rivers and others can never close even at the expense of the fish.there are several southern costal river where you can get a special tag to harvest wild...