Recent content by FindingFly

1. F

Want to build a glass 8 or 9 wt….. thoughts and comparisons?

Thanks @clarkman . I do like the idea of the shorter rod, might have to looks at Shane’s or Steffens. He doesn’t have the 8’ 8/9 wt listed but do you know if he has those patterns?
  2. F

Want to build a glass 8 or 9 wt….. thoughts and comparisons?

Hey guys, want to build a midweight salt/freshwater glass rod just to give it a shot. Mostly looking at the iconoglass, blue halo Zen glass, or possibly epic. I know I’m leaving out a handful of builders but those faster S-glass blanks have my interest for now. Any thoughts on the 8 and 9...
  3. F

FS Thomas & Thomas Rods.... Contact II and DNA Spey

A couple unexpected events and I have to let some things go that I otherwise wouldn't..... First is a 13'5" 6wt T&T DNA Spey. This rod has some miles on it, but has a lot of life left. T&T discontinued this model that John Hazel had some input into for the Deschutes. It's a strong 6, and can...
  4. F

FS Abel TR 5/6

Looking to sell this Abel TR 5/6. I love the 2/3 and 4/5 I have, but this reel just doesn't fit the bill for the rod I'm needing it for. Only been used a few times, but did get some rash from the bottom of the boat. Comes with original box and case. MSRP is $450..... Asking $325 shipped...
  5. F

Epic Permit Week

That is a hell of a week for sure! I could go for some of that warm weather and water right now...
  6. F

Home Made Truck Camper

I've got a short bed Ram 2500 flatbed that I put a traditional slide in camper on. Found a Northstar TC650 for a decent price (about $6500) a couple years ago on the used market. While it does sit just a little high due to the flat bed sitting above the wheel wells as mentioned earlier, it...
  7. F

Let’s start a trout spey thread

As for the trout spey bug, I'm still waiting to catch it. I do enjoy throwing the spey lite heads from SA on single handers from time to time with streamers. And the single hand spey line from Rio is a really nice line for swinging smaller wets, that can still overhead cast well. This thread...
  8. F

Let’s start a trout spey thread

@ifsteve I've spent many evenings and nights swinging for tarpon off a skiff when I used to live in the FL Keys. When you find the fish holding in current it's a great presentation. Some of my best memories. My guide buddies down there are finding places and times to use it during the day too.
  9. F

Slide Band reel Seats

Never used them myself, so this is just an idea to try.... Proof flyfishing, a rod building site/store, sells foam pads shaped to fit under the reel seat. He calls them "reel-tite" pads. They are in the slide band reel seat section. The idea is that the foam compresses when the slide bands...
  10. F

Click reels vs. disc drag reel for spey rods?

love it @_WW_
  11. F

@_WW_ Looks like that one would have some proper tension. What reel is that? Spring configuration isn't familiar, though I don't pretend to be a reel expert/historian.
  12. F

I'm a clicker guy for sure. But that said, not all clickers are the same. Many of the new (and old) hardy's I've played with are way too light on the tension. Over spin when you pull line off, and not enough tension to even prick the tip of the hook into a fish. I've watch plenty of bites...
  13. F

T&T Contact rods

No personal experience with those two longer models. The 10' 3 wt is my favorite trout rod at the moment though. extremely versatile. I don't tight line nymph more than say 20-30% of the time, but this rod is great with a standard line as well. tosses a 150 grain spey lite scandi or skagit...
  14. F

What's in your vise?

Florida keys trip didn't work out as planned on the fishing side..... American airlines canceled our flights twice and rescheduled each time. Ended up being a great family trip, but instead of 5 fishing days it turned into two with one being a full rain day.... still can't get the flats off...
  15. F

Any BOO fans out there?

I've got an 11' 5 wt from Ryan White. Ryan guides on the Dean River and works out of the same shop as James Reid in the off season I believe. At Least they used to make the blanks together. Rod is not only beautiful, but one of the better fishing rods I've ever fished of any material...