Recent content by Dekartes

1. Dekartes

Rain Jacket

Check out the Montbell Versalite. You can buy it directly from the Japanese site for 165$ us (converting the asked Yen). By far my favorite light weight full featured rain jacket. Under 6oz, but still has pit zips, waist ties, hood cinch, etc... They have a 'Western Fit' link. Montbell...
  2. Dekartes

Meadow Lake Fish Camp

He's stand up and I enjoyed talking with him at the camp. If someone has his email, please post. Thank you.
  3. Dekartes

InreachMini2 vs. Zoleo

Lol! Yeah - not many have any compass skills anymore. Mine are severely rusty. Paper maps?? If I don't print them anymore - I know no one younger than me is either! I do still print them for very remote trips though - so there is that. Converting an azimuth, laying it out on paper and...
  4. Dekartes

Meadow Lake Fish Camp

Late to this. Did Hayden leave contact information? I am a late comer to the camp. My first year was the year after the stroke and without Hayden I don't know how the camp would have continued at all. Really sorry to hear this. The camp was great because of the people. I was actually...
  5. Dekartes

InreachMini2 vs. Zoleo

I love the Mini, but to be fair I don't use it for navigation - only for messages. So maybe some of the newer devices would be great. It is a redundant navigating tool if something happens to my phone though. Phone + Gaia is so easy to use for navigation. As far as the larger devices - I...
  6. Dekartes

Sage rods repair turnaround time

I have had nothing but good experiences with Sage. I recently broke a favorite vintage gear rod that is advertised as not being able to be fixed anymore. I drove to Bainbridge. Steve came out and spoke to me, then went and searched for a blank that is no longer produced. He found one and...
  7. Dekartes

The Enchantments

LOL! How you make that cut and don't know it.... They should not be in the back country at all!
  8. Dekartes

Proposed AK gold mine on the Kuskokwim River

Never ends. The Kuskowim flows right by Bethel and a ton of great tribs dump into it (like the Kwethluk - sp?). Seems like a really really bad location for this. Not that different of an impact to Pebble I would imagine. There are a some small tribs in that area with old gold mines that...
  9. Dekartes

The Enchantments

Wish I would have experienced what you all are talking about in the above string.... I have had plenty of solitude, but I feel like I was born 50 years too late. Would have liked to pull Kings out of the Stilly, etc... This area used to be Alaska. Still am grateful for what we have.
  10. Dekartes

The Enchantments

Phil - Gnome Tarn is still a good camping spot! Like usual - the hordes stick to the trail and most permit holders camp right next to the trail and complain about the hordes... I had lunch at Gnome Tarn on Saturday and saw not a soul. What a great view from that spot. I fished Shield and...
  11. Dekartes

Enchantments Loop

I am convinced the day hiking will be regulated too... There really are too many people doing this loop (many really unaware of what they are getting into). I staged up at 430am and there were probably 150 people getting going at that time! I think part of that was the weather, the...
  12. Dekartes

Enchantments Loop

For sure. This year over 40,000 people tried... 40,000....
  13. Dekartes

Enchantments Loop

Walk fast. Run some. :) Actually got some good fishing in. Would have liked more - but I'll take what I got. You would have some great opportunities up there if you actually got a camping permit. I'll be dead before I get another one. It's about a 1% chance now.
  14. Dekartes

Enchantments Loop

If anyone is thinking of this loop the distance was 23 miles, 7k up and 9k down with the side trips I took off the main trail. Honestly though - it is really easy access and not as bad as that sounds. The down does put a beating on your knees. There are some other side trips I would like...
  15. Dekartes

Enchantments Loop

Thought I would sneak this in as the weather was so amazing. I staged up at Lake Wenatchee the night before and even that was rare glass. This has to be the best weekend of the year for this loop. The colors are magical. Despite all the traffic - not a single other person with a rod; at...