Recent content by claude

1. claude

Cant fix stupid!

Pulling cubs out of tree for pictures
  2. claude

Trip Planning for Summer England / Scotland / Ireland in July

I was in Scotland last Sept. and the midges were daunting when the conditions were still. I brought picaridin repellent which worked but wished I had brought our headnets also.
  3. claude

What's in your vise?

I'd like to see the look on his face on Xmas morn.
  4. claude

NFR The American Buffalo

Another good read about saving the buffalo is "Last Stand" by Michael Punke.
  5. claude

Fly line life expectancy

This. Took me years to figure this out.
  6. claude

How to pass the time...

NYT Spelling Bee and Crossword (but you have to have a subscription)
  7. claude

NJ Beach Summer Harvest

I was surprised also at the prickly pear. It's amazing how often/where you find it out here in the West but I never thought of it as being in the East. Definitely cool.
  8. claude

NFR #CelebJets

i knew a guy who served on Kerry's boat and he would also disagree.
  9. claude

Yvon Chouinard Gives Away His Company, Patagonia.

From the article it sounds like they held all the shares. 2% were voting stock which they donated to a trust to be overseen by family members and close advisors to ensure Patagonia runs a socially responsible business and gives away its profits. The other 98% of common shares they put into a...
  10. claude

Green River Utah

If by chance you're going through Flagstaff or Grand Junction there's rafting stores and REI at both. Durango has a good raft store also.
  11. claude

Green River Utah

I think you're mistaken regarding needing a Type 1 PFD. A Type 3 PFD meets the requirement. It's required that a pfd be worn when on the water on the A section and part of the B section (to below Red creek?) My experience is that for fishing the most comfortable pfd's are the basic ones.
  12. claude

Knee Pads

Used to use a neoprene knee sleeve when canoeing. Thin, stays in place and no fussing with velcro. Should fit under waders.
  13. claude

Favorite Fly Line Manufacturer

The last 5 yrs or so it"s been SA lines. Before that it was RIO lines but my experience was they didn't last very long. I got very dissapointed in RIO lines and how the finish on their lines did not hold up. I like the Amplitude Infinity line - iI think t's a good all purpose line and works for me.
  14. claude

Dry Fly Leader Length

What tkww said. Longer leaders require a bit slower cast as you want the leader to straighten completely on the backcast. Wait to feel the backcast loading the rod. Don't rush the forward cast; let it start to unfold but then you can give it a bit of a paintbrush flick to straighten it out.
  15. claude

Insect repellant review (DEET and others) WA Post

Same here. Switched to picaridin a few years ago and haven't looked back.