Recent content by afried

1. A

Los Barriles-DIY Trip

Was recently there, just a one night non-fishing visit. A terrific catch of the day grilled fish dinner at Smokey’s. Not much else I can say other than I liked the locale and hope I get there again, maybe even with a bit of fishing as well.
  2. A

Building Tension Spooling Backing to Reel?

I take a large book, run the backing between the pages, and then stack weight on the book as needed to get the amount of tension desired. Works fine.
  3. A

What's in your vise?

Getting ready for the Bealy hatch.
  4. IMG_2683.jpeg

IMG_2683.jpeg

5. IMG_2681.jpeg

IMG_2681.jpeg

6. A

Sage rods repair turnaround time

Broke the tip on a rod. Did the online repair/warranty form, got approval to send the rod in. Dropped it off in Bainbridge Monday afternoon, received a replacement rod by fed ex this afternoon (Thursday). About this time last year I had a problem with a Rio running line - replacement promptly...
  7. A

Puget Sound

Walking the beach this morning, not fishing, puzzled to see #53 USS John Paul Jones apparently under tow, heading east into Admiralty Inlet. What’s up with that?
  8. A

Attaching Fly Line to Backing (Welded Loop?)

In my opinion/experience the perfection loop is great in mono at leader butt diameters, but very weak at say about 15lb on down. From there on down go double surgeons, if not triple. Never tried a perfection in backing, and don’t plan to. For backing I’d say triple surgeons or bimini.
  9. A

Puget Sound

Thanks. Just ordered up some SA rings and looking forward to giving them a try.
  10. A

Puget Sound

Many thanks for the tippet ring suggestion. I’ve long preferred knotless tapered leaders and get extended service from them by adding tippet sections as needed. That of course adds a salad snagging knot. Any suggestions on tippet ring brands/sizes for saltwater use around here?
  11. A

Free Fly Fishing Magazines

Magazines don’t qualify for media mail rates. I doubt you’ll find anything cheaper than the usps flat rate boxes if you’re dealing with a quantity of magazines.
  12. A

The oldest rod you regularly use?

Sage SP 590-2. And it’s also is the rod I’d take on on a trip if I could only take one.
  13. A

NFL 2022 Season

Showing on fox 13 too
  14. A

What's in your vise?

Hope these draw some fishy attention in October.
  15. 80E660FB-A38F-41A6-AD45-68272BFE0CBF.jpeg

80E660FB-A38F-41A6-AD45-68272BFE0CBF.jpeg