These newfangled computerized baitcaster reels... (Shimano SLX DC)

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
The new generation of baitcaster reels came up in my "Getting stoked for spring" thread and I thought it might be cool to see if anyone else has used them.

Last spring I went fishing with my father in law and he was using a reel that sounded like a crazy cartoon robot when he made a cast. I had not idea what was going on, but googling "robot noise baitcaster" when I got home sorted it out for me.

For 4-5 years now Shimano has been making "digital control" reels that have a microprocessor in them that can monitor spool speed 1,000 times every second and apply the exact amount of brake to prevent backlashes and maximize distance. It's like having a magic thumb on the spool. No battery is needed as the system is powered by the spinning of the spool. As with most things, this technology started out on Shimano's higher end Cuardo reels. But in the past couple years it's trickled down to their workhorse SLX series of reels as well.

2019-SHIMANO-SLX-DC-151-150HG-151HG-151XG-Baitcasting-Fishing-Reel-HAGANE-I-DC4-Super-Free.jpg
SLX_DC_1-primary.jpg

I am not the world's worst baitcaster caster. But I'm also not great either. Given that I prefer to spend more time fishing and less time messing with my line/reel, I picked one of them up when I found a used one for a decent price. I'm honestly pretty impressed. They aren't going to stop every birdsnest. If you are stupid about it, you can still get tangled up. But for general casting, they work pretty damn well. I personally know I get more distance from my casts because I'm not being overly cautious thumbing the spool. But they aren't perfect for everything (flipping and pitching don't need it, for example) and expert casters probably won't appreciate the technology as much as mediocre ones do.

The SLX reels run about $200, which is $80-100 above the non-DC SLX reels. Worth it? I think so. I spend more time with my line in the water and less time cursing and picking tangles out.

Anyone else use one?

EDIT: Removed a weird line about Sage that somehow pasted itself in there from an earlier thread?

Last edited:

Wolverine

Smolt
I’ve got a Curado DC reel. IT’s list as a freshwater reel but I’ve only used it in saltwater for beach salmon fishing. 3 years no maintenance, just a good freshwater rinse. It’s loaded with 20 lb braid and on a 11’ rod. I’ve got a pretty good educated thumb from 50+ years of using bait casters, but still get the occasional spool overrun on my other baitcasters. Particularly when there’s a good wind blowing. The DC reel solves that problem. It’s pretty much just “grip it and rip it” casting. Price wise it’s more expensive than most baitcasters but compared to a lot of fly reels it’s just chump change. Highly recommended.

Snopro

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have a SLX DC and the latest Scorpion DC. I enjoy fishing both. The SLX DC is a great value but does lack a little of the smoothness more expensive DC reels have. I like the noise.

The dollar is gaining ground again on the yen. It's a good time to shop JDM if you want to try something different.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
Is the Curado the only one in a 201 size? I'm normally running the Tranx in 201/301 as well as a few Calcuttas.

Thanks for the heads up as I had no idea these existed.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I imagine they could build a robotic arm that mounts on the bow that could do the entire cast, retrieve, and hook set then sound an alarm so you could reel in "your" fish.

Romance is dead.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I don't even know how to respond to this info. I mean the staunch traditionalist loathes the idea of a ghost in a machine for fishing. The ten year old me that assured my father I could cast (without every having done so) and hucked a two Oz banana weight seven miles into the largest rat nest on a Penn you've ever seen. That jeweled handle had at least forty eight bights around it. Well that kid likes it. So does that father of said kid. I like it too now to avoid said things.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I imagine they could build a robotic arm that mounts on the bow that could do the entire cast, retrieve, and hook set then sound an alarm so you could reel in "your" fish.

Romance is dead.

You have to say ,"WE'RE ON, WE'RE ON"!" Per Wicked Tuna

brownheron

corvus ossifragus

Romance is dead.
I think you got lost and stumbled into the wrong sub-forum.

But then again, if you're looking for romance in "Gear-fishing Dirtbags" then good for you. Diff stroke for diff folks and all that sort of thing donchano...

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I think you got lost and stumbled into the wrong sub-forum.

But then again, if you're looking for romance in "Gear-fishing Dirtbags" then good for you. Diff stroke for diff folks and all that sort of thing donchano...

Naw. Throwing a baitcaster properly is definitely a skill. Watching the bass pros hit within an inch or two of their target cast after cast after cast is mesmerizing.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Computerized bait casting reel? Seems like cheating. Reminds me of the line in "A River Runs Through It" where he says that no one should be allowed to fly fish who doesn't know how to fly fish, or similar. Same thing; bait casters don't belong in the hands of people who can't cast them. Seems like we're becoming a society where no one has to learn how to do anything. Some F'in computer will do it for you.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
and miss the joy of a backlash of tangled braid so bad it has you reaching for your knife while running through every cuss word in your vocabulary?

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
When my decadal oscillation brings me back to gear fishing, I'm definitely going this route. Do they make a beefy enough one for steelheading? I've found myself limited by spinning gear and had more success with the casting rig, but my thumb is really fucking stupid and I cannot get more than a couple casts in a row without a full stop to pick it out.

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Hmmm. I’m not going to knock anyone for using something that enhances their fishing experience, but for me personally the blood sweat and tears involved in learning how to fish is part of the fun. Getting a birds nest as I make one last cast into the hole before work after I woke up at 4 to fish is part of that “fun”.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Seems like we're becoming a society where no one has to learn how to do anything. Some F'in computer will do it for you.
I assume you're still riding a horse to your fishing spots? Using a feathered quill to write these posts on the forum? Camping in a canvas and wood framed tent?

I kid, I kid....mostly.

I mean, I hear what you're saying, but technology moves on. The only people fishing with bamboo rods and silk fly lines these days are those who find it enjoyable (for some weird reason). Nobody sitting around saying "These graphite rods and dacron/PVC fly lines are making fishing TOO EASY".

In a world of electronics and internet and social media BS, if a new bit of tech gets people (especially kids) outdoors instead of staring at a screen, that's a win in my book.