These newfangled computerized baitcaster reels... (Shimano SLX DC)

Rvrfisher360

Floatin’
Forum Supporter
I’ve fished an SLX reel on almost all my casting rods (bass and salmon/steelhead) since they came out. When the SLX DC was released, I got that too, but use it less than the regular SLX’s. For me the DC didn’t cast as far, and backlashes worse with braid. The only cool thing about that reel is the noise it makes.

I have (for decades) been a diehard Shimano fan for bait casters. My favorite reel, that I abused for twenty years, finally failed. It was a drag (pun intended). A quick google search enlightened me to these new fangled computerized reels. I must say that I have been amazed at how "superior" in performance my new reel has been. Not really any more distance or accuracy, but it definitely cuts way, way down on backlashes. It does not eliminate tangles completely, but I find myself more willing to attempt "sophisticated" casts such as the "skipping a lure under a dock" cast. Comparing this reel to the Ambassador that my grandfather used, is almost frightening.

The operation of my reel is quite simple. Depending on the line and weight of the lure, I set the "clicker" where it needs to be (super, super simple) at that point I adjust the little knob to "fine tune" how "sketchy" I want the reel to be. In other words..I can set it to cast farther or I can set it to cast safer from tangles. I am still completely controlling the spool with my thumb....but the computer will attempt to "put the brakes on" if I get "careless".

Last edited:

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
I decided to embrace my inner reel geek and tracked down a new JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) Shimano Antares DC. I think this is the top model for their smaller low profile baitcasters but it isn't sold in the USA.

I spooled it up with my standard 30lb Sufix 832 and made some casts out back. It does make things a good bit easier. I was able to get it to backlash but it took really hucking it with no thumbing the spool. Even so, the backlash was such that it was very easy to clear. The funny whirring noise on the cast didn't seem that bad and I'm sure it'll fade into the background.

It's a 151 size so a little smaller than my normal 201s but really light. Paired with a lightweight EDGE 1065 makes for a feathery float rig. Hopefully it'll get tested on a steelhead this weekend.

ianpadron

Steelhead
I've got a nice lil stash of Curados and am always on the hunt for more...none of them will ever have the DC feature.

My formative years were spent at the back of my Dad's Lund in Northern Wisconsin picking backlashes out of an Ambassadeur round body while chucking Bull Dawgz and Suicks a country mile for Muskie...fewer mishaps were encountered with every outing...and I'm damn proud of the ol throttle thumb I've developed 🤣🤣🤣

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
I fished the Antares DC all day Sunday in the cold and rain on an OP river running a float rig. I've also had it out in the backyard which is chucking it as far as possible to the far bank as that where the traveling lane lies.

The technology works. It does make a funny whirring noise. You can still make it backlash if you don't use your thumb but the backlashes are pretty easy to clear. My only issues were not with casting, rather since I had it on the lowest resistance possible, I would get overrun when feeding line through the drift. I had to be a lot more careful than normal, not centerpin careful, but more careful than my normal Calcuttas.

Landed a few steelhead, drag and size seem fine. I won't use it for chinook. Worth the extra money? Probably not although the Antares is a very nice reel, the first time I've used one of their high-end low profiles as I normally use round reels or the Tranx model.

The star of the show for me was actually the rod. I was fishing an Edge StR 1065-2. Man, that thing is light and it's the heavier of the two versions (1064 is the other). With that reel/rod combo it was a lot easier holding line off the water all day.

IMG_3132.jpgIMG_3133.jpg

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I fished the Antares DC all day Sunday in the cold and rain on an OP river running a float rig. I've also had it out in the backyard which is chucking it as far as possible to the far bank as that where the traveling lane lies.

The technology works. It does make a funny whirring noise. You can still make it backlash if you don't use your thumb but the backlashes are pretty easy to clear. My only issues were not with casting, rather since I had it on the lowest resistance possible, I would get overrun when feeding line through the drift. I had to be a lot more careful than normal, not centerpin careful, but more careful than my normal Calcuttas.

Landed a few steelhead, drag and size seem fine. I won't use it for chinook. Worth the extra money? Probably not although the Antares is a very nice reel, the first time I've used one of their high-end low profiles as I normally use round reels or the Tranx model.

The star of the show for me was actually the rod. I was fishing an Edge StR 1065-2. Man, that thing is light and it's the heavier of the two versions (1064 is the other). With that reel/rod combo it was a lot easier holding line off the water all day.

View attachment 57953View attachment 57954
Man, that's a pretty sweet looking setup.

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
They definitely have their place. I like them in open water situations where I'm simply chucking a bait as far as I can and covering water. An example would be fishing a lipless crankbait or spinnerbait on a big flat or fishing a frog in a big pad filed. I'm not trying hit a spot...just covering as much water as fast as I can.

If I'm flipping cover, trying to land a spinner bait soft against a reed line or any other "target" type of casting, I prefer not having the digital training wheels.