Float Tube Safety

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I've been trying to convince someone to try lake fishing with me. We would be using float tubes and wearing PFDs. However, they are paranoid about safety. I'm convinced that floating around in a tube is far safer than wading on a river, yet they have no issue with that. They seem to think it is possible for submerged trees to suddenly float to the surface and kill you, among other things.

Is there any truth to this paranoia? What safety issues does one need to be aware of?

Zak

Legend
I've been trying to convince someone to try lake fishing with me. We would be using float tubes and wearing PFDs. However, they are paranoid about safety. I'm convinced that floating around in a tube is far safer than wading on a river, yet they have no issue with that. They seem to think it is possible for submerged trees to suddenly float to the surface and kill you, among other things.

Is there any truth to this paranoia? What safety issues does one need to be aware of?
I think some people are scared of being on the surface of deep water where they can't see the bottom. The Jaws effect, maybe.

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
Definitely safer than wading a river of any magnitude. The old donut float tubes had the risk of flipping over and getting stuck in them (turtling) but the newer tubes not so much as they are much easier to exit. I have taken to wearing an inflatable life vest out on my tube, mostly for the risk of cold water and hypothermia.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman

He has a right to be concerned if float tubing the crocodile filled waters of Australia.

Islander

Life of the Party
I find it more uncomfortable to be in moving current than sitting in a float tube. Some folks just have some fear of water and like Zak said, especially if they can’t see or touch the bottom. Reassure them they aren’t going to have any issues, especially if you wear a floatation device while sitting in a floatation device. I have run into submerged trees, branches, even fences. Never had any issues other than having to untangle my line. Worst case scenario would be a submerged barbed wire fence but unless you are fishing lakes near cattle you shouldn’t have any of those to deal with.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Is there any truth to this idea of trees suddenly rocketing to the surface and hitting you?

It seems like the risk of being hit by a floating log, on a river, is far higher.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
Cold water/weather and wind are real concerns. Getting in and out of the water can be sketchy. Cramps in legs and feet suck. Leaking waders are no bueno.

In my 30 or so years float tubing, those are my list of dangers that I make plans to deal with.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Is there any truth to this idea of trees suddenly rocketing to the surface and hitting you?

It seems like the risk of being hit by a floating log, on a river, is far higher.
I've had a small log clip me on a river. I've never witnessed a log inverse it's density relative to water and float up violently. In fact, I'm unaware of any process that would result in a logs density changing so quickly that it 'rockets' to the surface. Doesn't mean it couldn't happen, I've just never heard of it happening and am uncertain how it could happen.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter

If a tree is waterlogged it's not coming up.
All of the above comments are good. Anything we do around water is cause for concern. I've nearly drown in a stream, and had a doughnut tube compartment blow out in the lake. There is always a risk, and I don't think one is necessarily riskier than the other. A little fear is ok, be prepared. I would suggest letting your friend kick around near shore in a safe spot without gear or extra things to tangle in and get comfortable with being on the water (stay nearby as a spotter), then add the fishing part when they feel up to it. I feel a lot safer in the fishcat than I ever did in the old tube.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I've had a small log clip me on a river. I've never witnessed a log inverse it's density relative to water and float up violently. In fact, I'm unaware of any process that would result in a logs density changing so quickly that it 'rockets' to the surface. Doesn't mean it couldn't happen, I've just never heard of it happening and am uncertain how it could happen.
I'm with you. Jared's friend has more danger from Nessie coming up and slurping him in than some suddenly extra buoyant log rocketing to the surface.

Islander's concerns about barbwire to me are spot on. I can only think of one occasion where I saw a fence going out into a lake. Paying attention to where you are should prevent barbed wire encounters. A steel fence post could be a problem with a stillwater's level fluctuating. I can't imagine a stick puncturing a modern float tube like my Fat Cat unless it was a punji stick. Unlikely. Sudden leg cramps SUCK.

Jared - you friend may well be phobic of stillwaters. I don't like confined spaces.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
Cold water/weather and wind are real concerns. Getting in and out of the water can be sketchy. Cramps in legs and feet suck. Leaking waders are no bueno.

In my 30 or so years float tubing, those are my list of dangers that I make plans to deal with.
These are my concerns as well, particularly getting in and out of the float tube.
I've had a couple incidents while getting in or out of the tube.
On my maiden voyage in my Outcast Prowler float tube a couple years ago
nature called me to shallow calf deep water near shore. While getting back in the tube I sat my butt down and the combination of wet vinyl seat and wet waders caused the float tube to launch out from under me like a well played tiddly wink.
I found myself on my ass in 2' of water while my float tube drifted towards water too deep for me to recover it.
Only a quick rebound back to my feet allowed me to recapture the runaway tube. Uncomfortable lesson but a good lesson none the less.
Takeaways,
1) install seat belt on float tube.
Trip to hardware store to buy 2" nylon strap material and buckle set to match.
It's been discussed before on the old site that this could be a danger were the tube to flip. Using the risk vs. reward
thing, for my money I'm much more likely to slide out of the tube in deep water without seatbelt than I am to flip the tube in deep water and not be able to escape by unbuckling my self.
2) when getting in the tube always have both hands gripping the sides of the tube
pockets or straps while sitting down.
The vinyl seats on the Outcast Prowler are very slippery when wet and sat on with wet waders.
I'm not sure about other models or brands.
3) I attached flipper saftey straps as well to retain a flipper should one come off while fishing.

Islander

Life of the Party
One of the biggest issues I’ve seen with new float tubers is walking in fins. Nubies should always walk backwarms and slowly, it’s just a lot safer that way. Never seen a submerged object bolt to the surface in my 30+ years of using a float tube or pontoon boat.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
As one with certain anxieties, I don't think this is a rational thing that you're going to be able to rational him out of. I think he's your river fishing friend from now on.

I have a thing about swimming in water where I can't see the bottom. Swimming from one reef to another in HI, I know that the kraken isn't going to reach up and grab me, but I did not like it at all. How those folks swim in the open ocean is beyond me.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Good point. Recalling a few sedge hatches in Kamloops where it very much felt like silver rocket trout were shooting out of the water.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
who walks in their fins? 🤷‍♂️ I always put them on in the water....I also use fins that float (good ole Buck's Bags fins....excellent, btw) so no need for an additional attachment to catch my line on (on my end anyway).

regarding being freaked out in a float tube with a life preserver on....just doesn't really compute with me. But then I'm not one who gets freaked out in a float tube (with or without a life preserver) so I can't speak to that. BUT, if that's the case, maybe @PhilR is right, he's your river fishing friend...