6-Cylinder Vehicle Camping Rigs?

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Newer vehicles may be a different story.. however however if reliable power is needed there is no replacement for displacement.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Six years ago, I bought my Toyota Tacoma but quickly discovered its V-6 power limitations when it came to camping and my budget. These days, I’ve resigned myself to filling the bed and the space behind the seats with camping gear. To the gills. Really need to spring for a canopy.

So, what I’d like to see is how those stuck with 6-cylinder limitations are handling camping and fishing trips. Just looking for inspiration.
First we bought a RPod 18 ft trailer. Very light but a big sail that used a lot of fuel to tow. Solution was to buy a half ton GMC diesel to tow the trailer. Turned out it gets 50% better mileage than the Tacoma when not towing and now we can pull the trailer without stopping every two hours to fill up the tank. Apologize for the thread drift from being stuck with the 6 cylinder limitations….

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
First we bought a RPod 18 ft trailer. Very light but a big sail that used a lot of fuel to tow. Solution was to buy a half ton GMC diesel to tow the trailer. Turned out it gets 50% better mileage than the Tacoma when not towing and now we can pull the trailer without stopping every two hours to fill up the tank. Apologize for the thread drift from being stuck with the 6 cylinder limitations….
All good. I was hoping for comments even like yours. Issues of engine power, transmission torque, etc. You see, my friend, when he got his F-150, he held out for one with a V8. Huge gas tank, but his fuel mileage barely flinches when his truck is fully loaded. The fuel tank gives him crazy good range, too.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
@Ceviche
So, don't feel pregnant. We bought Josh's little pop up. And found out we can't tow it with the wifes Nissan like we planned. While the engine has the power, the CVT they use is made by Renault, and the strains of towing destroys them.

My Fusion Enegi ? It's possible, but, there's zero camping cargo room.

Definitely can tow it with the 4.2l F150. But, being the XL version, its a work cab. So, not enough room for the wife, the kid, myself and two furbutts.

Now looking at getting rid of Old Paint, (paid for over 16 years ago) and the 62 mpg PHEV (paid for 3 years) in favor of a new prime mover.

Strangely, the two top contenders couldn't be more different. One is the Mazda CX9 and the other is the Chevy Traverse. While I've been a ford guy most of my life, the current non pickup truck offerings from ford have been having a lot of expensive reliability issues the past few years. So, alternatives had to be sought.

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
@Ceviche
So, don't feel pregnant. We bought Josh's little pop up. And found out we can't tow it with the wifes Nissan like we planned. While the engine has the power, the CVT they use is made by Renault, and the strains of towing destroys them.

My Fusion Enegi ? It's possible, but, there's zero camping cargo room.

Definitely can tow it with the 4.2l F150. But, being the XL version, its a work cab. So, not enough room for the wife, the kid, myself and two furbutts.

Now looking at getting rid of Old Paint, (paid for over 16 years ago) and the 62 mpg PHEV (paid for 3 years) in favor of a new prime mover.

Strangely, the two top contenders couldn't be more different. One is the Mazda CX9 and the other is the Chevy Traverse. While I've been a ford guy most of my life, the current non pickup truck offerings from ford have been having a lot of expensive reliability issues the past few years. So, alternatives had to be sought.
Reliability issues is why I went with Toyota. Unfortunately, at the time, I felt I could only afford a Tacoma. Looking back, I probably could have gone Tundra.

Is what it is.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
When you tow, everything has to be bigger and stronger. In my opinion Diesel is the only option when you really want to tow something.
Alot of talk about 6 cyl capabilities but if i was pushing a vehicle like a tacoma i would worry much more about the transmission and the other components requires to transfer the power to the pavement.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
When you tow, everything has to be bigger and stronger. In my opinion Diesel is the only option when you really want to tow something.
Alot of talk about 6 cyl capabilities but if i was pushing a vehicle like a tacoma i would worry much more about the transmission and the other components requires to transfer the power to the pavement.
The smaller the engine the harder you make it work to accomplish the same objective.

That is what turbos do, they make the engine work harder to produce more power.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
"To put it simply, Torque lets you work but Horsepower makes the work go fast. You know that heavy-duty vehicles and giant trucks run on diesel. It is because of the greater torque generated by diesel engines. The piston moves relatively farther (than in gas engines) resulting in longer strokes and consequently, a greater torque. If you compare a diesel engine with a gasoline one of slightly higher horsepower (but lesser torque), you will see a huge difference in their towing performances. Although they might be able to heft the same load, the diesel engine will not have to take any strain at all.There is no need to rev up the engine; the high torque will complete the task at a significantly low rpm (revolutions per minute). Also, the diesel fuel has higher energy content than gasoline. This means that you will get a better mileage with diesel engines – they can tow for a longer period of time without stopping to refuel.

To sum up, torque plays a greater role in towing than horsepower. This is because of the ‘low-end rpm’ generated by the higher levels of torque, which allows the engine to easily carry heavy loads. A high torque vehicle will be able to tow trailers or other objects with an extremely low value of rpm. Tires, suspensions, wheels, and gears also play an important role in towing". - www.timstruckcapital.com

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Have a couple of buddies towing fairly big trailers with Ford 3.5 Ecoboost trucks and they absolutely love them...key to their longevity 5k oil changes with premium synthetic oil. Drove a 3.5 Expedition and it was startling quick for a big SUV. Be my choice in a newer truck or SUV.
FYI, my older son's Traverse has spent way too much time in the shop since purchased new...don't overlook the bigger Kia SUV's, excellent rated, great warranties

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Have a couple of buddies towing fairly big trailers with Ford 3.5 Ecoboost trucks and they absolutely love them...key to their longevity 5k oil changes with premium synthetic oil. Drove a 3.5 Expedition and it was startling quick for a big SUV. Be my choice in a newer truck or SUV.
FYI, my older son's Traverse has spent way too much time in the shop since purchased new...don't overlook the bigger Kia SUV's, excellent rated, great warranties
Disagree on the KIAs . They make a great medium duty truck. That's about it.
Hyundai owns them now. Maybe that will change.

How come we don't hear about the problems GM is having with the Traverse? Consumer Reports covering it up?

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Just what I was afraid of.

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
"To put it simply, Torque lets you work but Horsepower makes the work go fast. You know that heavy-duty vehicles and giant trucks run on diesel. It is because of the greater torque generated by diesel engines. The piston moves relatively farther (than in gas engines) resulting in longer strokes and consequently, a greater torque. If you compare a diesel engine with a gasoline one of slightly higher horsepower (but lesser torque), you will see a huge difference in their towing performances. Although they might be able to heft the same load, the diesel engine will not have to take any strain at all.There is no need to rev up the engine; the high torque will complete the task at a significantly low rpm (revolutions per minute). Also, the diesel fuel has higher energy content than gasoline. This means that you will get a better mileage with diesel engines – they can tow for a longer period of time without stopping to refuel.

To sum up, torque plays a greater role in towing than horsepower. This is because of the ‘low-end rpm’ generated by the higher levels of torque, which allows the engine to easily carry heavy loads. A high torque vehicle will be able to tow trailers or other objects with an extremely low value of rpm. Tires, suspensions, wheels, and gears also play an important role in towing". - www.timstruckcapital.com
This! ☝🏻

Blue Lines

Steelhead
Jumping into this thread late, but here it goes…
Years ago we bought a used 4x4 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee inline 6 cylinder 4.0L (ZJ). Nicknamed Louise, we bought her strictly as a camping vehicle. Picked her up in pretty good condition for $1,600 and have probably put $3k into her over the years with most of the work going to replacing aging parts, suspension upgrades, a rood basket, and truly capable all-terrains with full-sized spare. Thus far, she has been perfect to us. Most of the camping we do is dispersed camping on forest service or BLM land, and the size limitations have actually been helpful and welcome. Makes me think about what we “need” to bring, and ultimately the less crud I take along camping the happier I tend to be once out there. The smaller size has also helped us get into areas that a larger rig couldn’t.

Just over three years ago (November before covid started) I set the goal of going camping at least once per month… and have held true to my goal. Most trips are centered around fishing (although late winter less so), and Louise and I have had some wonderful times. No regrets.

Attachments

• FD84585E-71CF-4766-B679-29D0B77D15C3.jpeg
    FD84585E-71CF-4766-B679-29D0B77D15C3.jpeg
    239.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 7781EA02-F33A-43AD-8245-BEC8D7493301.jpeg
    7781EA02-F33A-43AD-8245-BEC8D7493301.jpeg
    357.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 2E7022F2-BD83-4753-AE68-B82FC343B99B.jpeg
    2E7022F2-BD83-4753-AE68-B82FC343B99B.jpeg
    342.4 KB · Views: 32

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Jumping into this thread late, but here it goes…
Years ago we bought a used 4x4 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee inline 6 cylinder 4.0L (ZJ). Nicknamed Louise, we bought her strictly as a camping vehicle. Picked her up in pretty good condition for $1,600 and have probably put $3k into her over the years with most of the work going to replacing aging parts, suspension upgrades, a rood basket, and truly capable all-terrains with full-sized spare. Thus far, she has been perfect to us. Most of the camping we do is dispersed camping on forest service or BLM land, and the size limitations have actually been helpful and welcome. Makes me think about what we “need” to bring, and ultimately the less crud I take along camping the happier I tend to be once out there. The smaller size has also helped us get into areas that a larger rig couldn’t.

Just over three years ago (November before covid started) I set the goal of going camping at least once per month… and have held true to my goal. Most trips are centered around fishing (although late winter less so), and Louise and I have had some wonderful times. No regrets.
Is that the double sized cot tent?…I have the single that I strap to the spare on the two door Jeep…

Blue Lines

Steelhead
@Brute - yup! It is a double cot tent. It fits me and my wife perfectly for quick overnights, or if it’s just me I’ll do it for longer trips In inclement weather.

Admittedly, we are in the process of buying a small off-road capable teardrop trailer. We’ve rented them before and Louise pulls it without a noticeable difference. I’m hopeful with the teardrop my wife will come along with me more often.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
@Daniel
You do know that our fathers and grandfathers towed loads comparable to today's with gas burning straight 6's ranging between 225 to 300 C.I. with only a 3 in the tree for a transmission, right ? Dodge 100's , Ford F100's, Chevy and GMC C 10 series and their progeny did yoeman work from the 50's all the way up into the 90's and into today. Dont count the six banger out, its still a viable system for most people.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
@Daniel
You do know that our fathers and grandfathers towed loads comparable to today's with gas burning straight 6's ranging between 225 to 300 C.I. with only a 3 in the tree for a transmission, right ? Dodge 100's , Ford F100's, Chevy and GMC C 10 series and their progeny did yoeman work from the 50's all the way up into the 90's and into today. Dont count the six banger out, its still a viable system for most people.
Amen to that! And now it is making a comeback. The straight 6 engine with it's 7 main bearing crankshaft is one helluva robust design. More main bearing surface area per cubic inch translates into increased longevity.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
@Daniel
I totally respect your opinion for sure bud. However my own opinion stands. If I ever want to actually, "tow" I will never consider a gasoline powered engine under any circumstance, and that includes a 6 banger gasser. It is simply based on my own experiences. I hope that I have not insinuated that a gasoline engine can't do it. That is not my intention. A gasoline engine will totally get the load from A - B just fine.
My point to add clarity is that for the given task which is legitimately towing, a diesel powered engine is superior.
If I have access to a tool in my box that lets me accomplish my task in the most efficient, dependable, and quickest way possible. I will use it. A good analogy to represent your point of view and mine is that you are saying that a good ole ratchet will get it done too cause that is what they have used way back in the day. My point is that they have invented the air ratchet since then, and I live and die by my air ratchet. After you have rebuilt, tested, and junked about 12 Cummin's ISX motors like I did, you end up loving efficient tools.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
I totally respect your opinion for sure bud. However my own opinion stands. If I ever want to actually, "tow" I will never consider a gasoline powered engine under any circumstance, and that includes a 6 banger gasser. It is simply based on my own experiences. I hope that I have not insinuated that a gasoline engine can't do it. That is not my intention. A gasoline engine will totally get the load from A - B just fine.
My point to add clarity is that for the given task which is legitimately towing, a diesel powered engine is superior.
If I have access to a tool in my box that lets me accomplish my task in the most efficient, dependable, and quickest way possible. I will use it. A good analogy to represent your point of view and mine is that you are saying that a good ole ratchet will get it done too cause that is what they have used way back in the day. My point is that they have invented the air ratchet since then, and I live and die by my air ratchet. After you have rebuilt, tested, and junked about 12 Cummin's ISX motors like I did, you end up loving efficient tools.
As you point out, its a matter of perspective. My towing needs of maybe up to 5000 lbs are far different than those of a rancher who needs to move 4-6 2000 lb. hay rolls from one section to another using a gooseneck flatbed, or pulling a 4 horse trailer between Moscow and Ellensburg.

Having said that, I gotta admire the US interstate trucking industry, which seems to do just fine with straight 6's pulling 40k+ lbs across this country.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
As you point out, its a matter of perspective. My towing needs of maybe up to 5000 lbs are far different than those of a rancher who needs to move 4-6 2000 lb. hay rolls from one section to another using a gooseneck flatbed, or pulling a 4 horse trailer between Moscow and Ellensburg.

Having said that, I gotta admire the US interstate trucking industry, which seems to do just fine with straight 6's pulling 40k+ lbs across this country.
I agree. What I really love reading about right now is about diesel power locomotives. It is just unreal the power those things generate. I would love to ride on one some day.
During one project where I was working with Donaldson filtration when Kenworth was in the R&D phase creating the regen units for their trucks I went on a couple rides between Mt Vernon and Yakima in our Kenworth 388's and where those Diesel engines shine is going up hill. They just feel like they bite down, the front end lifts up, and you cruise up the hill behind a screaming Turbo. Or..........2.