Things you know now that you wish you did back then

cedarslug

Steelhead
You, yes you! You're probably a competent angler now! Those years of whacking through brush, losing your flies to casting knots, and falling in the river made you the angler you are now today.

But what about back then? Back when you first started out fly fishing. You were probably some pathetic try hard that failed and failed over again, until you tried something new and found success. Or maybe you were the kid in the back of the class that was too shy to ask questions, and always left in behind. Well here's your chance to help out those novices, beginners, and n00bz. More importantly, this is your opportunity to admit something that you wish you had known back then.

I'll start...

Wading Safety

We're lucky to have numerous freestone streams and rivers in the PNW. We're also fortunate to have access to coastal water and beaches. That being said, rocks can be slippery here, and sneaker waves can quietly take you out. Take out those dang earbuds, and be aware of your surroundings. Wade cautiously through water, bring a wading staff, and take smaller steps. Polarized glasses will help you see bottom. And if you can't see bottom, assume each step is going end well. Careful of bigger rocks that may look tempting for your foot to land, but are often times have the smoothest of surfaces. Make sure your waders are cinched up correctly, so when you do fall, you are keeping excess water from pouring into your waders. Lastly, don't cast and move at the same time! Stay planted and cast - you're neither that coordinated nor athletic.

TL;DR

• Bring polarized glasses
• Use wading staff
• Watch out for slippery stuff
• Smaller steps
• Cinch and secure up those waders
• No casting and moving

B

bennysbuddy

At 70 I'm runnin' a little short of age qualified advisors.
that is true,at your age when some kid tells you of some adventure you should try to do so. Unless it involves a skateboard, snow board, stand up paddle board or such stuff. I'm ten years behind you & when friends kids ask me to do something my answer is I haven't done anything foolish yet this week why not.

Last edited by a moderator:

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
that is true,at your age when some kid tells you of some adventure you should try do so. Unless it involves a skateboard, snow board, stand up paddle board or such stuff. I'm ten years behind you & when friends kids ask me to do something my answer is I haven't done anything foolish yet this week why not.
Ya know. I think you've got something there! I could be all wrong about staying away from methamphetamines...all those young tweakers can't be wrong...though I might not be spry enough for midnight car prowling, covert catalytic converter removal, and jail.

All those years I wasted worrying about and taking care of my stupid teef.

B

bennysbuddy

Ya know. I think you've got something there! I could be all wrong about staying away from methamphetamines...all those young tweakers can't be wrong...though I might not be spry enough for midnight car prowling, covert catalytic converter removal, and jail.
I'd pass on the dope ,I was thinking more inline with Zip lining, white water rafting, and such.

krusty

Forum Supporter
I'd pass on the dope ,I was thinking more inline with Zip lining, white water rafting, and such.
Been there, done that.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Fish dont care if your cast is pretty, but chicks do! So if you're solo just fish that tangled mess you threw, but if you're date fishin make sure you grumble about wind and how you're trying out a new line.

It's an upcast not a backcast.

Elephants eat peanuts.

Flyfishing is not a worthwhile endeavour but nothing really is and flyfishing is fun.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
+
I really didn't know what Zip lining was so I looked it up. I read about one here in Montana. But they don't take on the old folks. Me being scared of heights kind of turned me off any way. I can just see me screaming down a line about a couple of 100' in the air. I'd probably have a heart attack while dangling in the air. No thanks.

Driftless Dan

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I look back in my life and see some lost opportunities, situations where I was too unambitious, too lazy to reach for the gold ring (and I don't just mean work). I've done pretty well for myself, had a great upbringing, went to a good college, but somehow muddled through the first 10 years after school, ending up with nothing to show for it, and $15,000 in debt I couldn't account for, much less pay. I got very lucky and fell into a job where my salary effectively quadrupled and my monthly expenses disappeared, caused by a move overseas for several years. Pure luck put me back on track, or better, by the time I returned, and in a position where I have been able to maximize savings until now (I retire in 3 weeks).

My best friend in high school once said to me, "I'm a 100 horsepower engine going 95 horsepower, and you're a 500 horsepower engine doing 40 horsepower." The proof of that is my story above. That's what I would have liked to know then - Put in all 500 horsepower.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
Retirement is all what is being said about it. I retired in 1999. I went fishing just about every day. But it was by my lonesome. When you retire you leave all the people that you fished with alone. You ain't at work anymore so you fish alone. But you can go out when you want to and go home when you want to. You have the freedom of choice.

Since I retired 23 years ago. I found out that fishing alone all the time sucks. I enjoy fishing that way but you get lonely. Wishing you had somebody along with you to shoot the breeze with or somebody to share with you what you are doing. I don't take the wife along for someone to be with because she has her thing and I have mine. Fishing with the fly is not how she fishes..

krusty

Forum Supporter
Retirement is all what is being said about it. I retired in 1999. I went fishing just about every day. But it was by my lonesome. When you retire you leave all the people that you fished with alone. You ain't at work anymore so you fish alone. But you can go out when you want to and go home when you want to. You have the freedom of choice.

Since I retired 23 years ago. I found out that fishing alone all the time sucks. I enjoy fishing that way but you get lonely. Wishing you had somebody along with you to shoot the breeze with or somebody to share with you what you are doing. I don't take the wife along for someone to be with because she has her thing and I have mine. Fishing with the fly is not how she fishes..
Guess I'm lucky I never fished with coworkers...I didn't socialize with subordinates or those I reported to. I literally had no peers. It saved me a lot of grief as a manager.

Last edited: