What's in your vise?

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
I've been in a bit of a fly tying funk....tying dumb little egg flies and all. I had to get out of it....I hope I did.

ZRN6b5D.jpg

7Sun3Iz.jpg

52XYzh1.jpg

ixEB5Ho.jpg

Mostly snowrunner and titan dub plus some waterproof markers, a touch of flash and a several saddle hackles (2 on each side)....all reverse tied hollow fly style.

Cheers!
Really nice.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
In honor of Dave Whitlock.

View attachment 42672
I had forgotten that this pattern was introduced to us by Dave Whitlock. It's an interesting pattern and, like you've shown, one with endless tweaks. I'm sure at times trout take it for mayfly nymphs, caddisfly nymphs, scuds in smaller sizes, and who knows what else. It certainly is a versatile pattern. Thanks for the reminder of who created it.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I had forgotten that this pattern was introduced to us by Dave Whitlock. It's an interesting pattern and, like you've shown, one with endless tweaks. I'm sure at times trout take it for mayfly nymphs, caddisfly nymphs, scuds in smaller sizes, and who knows what else. It certainly is a versatile pattern. Thanks for the reminder of who created it.
I had seen the nymph but have no experience with it. In looking I found this with several of Dave's variations.
https://davewhitlock.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/RFSHN-story-and-tying.pdf

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I've been in a bit of a fly tying funk....tying dumb little egg flies and all. I had to get out of it....I hope I did.

ZRN6b5D.jpg

7Sun3Iz.jpg

52XYzh1.jpg

ixEB5Ho.jpg

Mostly snowrunner and titan dub plus some waterproof markers, a touch of flash and a several saddle hackles (2 on each side)....all reverse tied hollow fly style.

Cheers!
So good. For bass?

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
I had seen the nymph but have no experience with it. In looking I found this with several of Dave's variations.
https://davewhitlock.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/RFSHN-story-and-tying.pdf
I've been tying and fishing variations of the "STN" as I've called it (forgot the proper name) for years. One of my favorite tweaks is a tad bit of Canadian brown simiseal dubbing at the thorax. That tweak to the pattern resulted in a few great days on Leighton Lake, BC. It was especially fun to fish shallow water with a floating line.Squirrel Tail Nymph.JPG

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
I've been tying and fishing variations of the "STN" as I've called it (forgot the proper name) for years. One of my favorite tweaks is a tad bit of Canadian brown simiseal dubbing at the thorax. That tweak to the pattern resulted in a few great days on Leighton Lake, BC. It was especially fun to fish shallow water with a floating line.View attachment 42898
I like that, and @Jack Devlin 's. I think that version of Dave W.'s as an October caddis is good. My observations came up with this similar colored fly this fall that caught fish, but the one's you guys tie are much more elegant.

Attachments

• 20221025_124208.jpg
    20221025_124208.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11

tkww

Steelhead
Alfred's Boatman - Phil Rowley
View attachment 42729
View attachment 42730
May not match perfectly. Here is what I used.
Hook: Fulling Mills Heavy Weight Champ #10
Tail: Pearl Krystal flash or similar
Shellback: Dark green or brown or black thin skin
Body: natural deer hair. Trimmed flat and close on the bottom and somewhat oblong otherwise.
Legs: Flexifloss
Head flourescent orange thread

Meant to be fished either floating or with a sinking line.
Does that flip over in the water?
I've been tying and fishing variations of the "STN" as I've called it (forgot the proper name) for years. One of my favorite tweaks is a tad bit of Canadian brown simiseal dubbing at the thorax. That tweak to the pattern resulted in a few great days on Leighton Lake, BC. It was especially fun to fish shallow water with a floating line.View attachment 42898
Sparse and clean...I like it!

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
I like that, and @Jack Devlin 's. I think that version of Dave W.'s as an October caddis is good. My observations came up with this similar colored fly this fall that caught fish, but the one's you guys tie are much more elegant.
I don't think Buzzy and elegant are compatible! But thanks, I think your bug looks FISHY! (The good kind of fishy.)

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
That fly, in it's original form, changed me as an angler. You inspired me, and I ordered some Whitlock SLF RFSN dubbing.
I added it to my list as well. It's a nice contrast to my usual GRHE. For now a copy, in what else, hare's ear is what I got.20221126_222458.jpg

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
We seem to be sharing some pics of "fuzzy nymphs" - I met Polly once in Chiloquin, Oregon. He wasn't impressed by my swannundaze (sp) flies ;-) View attachment 42921
Wet flies by Dave Hughes changed the way I tied and fished over a decade ago. I got Nemes' soft hackles a couple years ago. The red fox squirrel nymph shows up in Wet flies.
20221127_053544.jpg

Last edited: