NFR What Are You Reading

Non-fishing related

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
41NVZVDGQTL.jpg

A great book. I first read this 7 years ago, and I appreciate it even more reading it for the second time.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I just read "The Dog Stars" by Peter Heller. It's a post-apocalyptic type story that features fly fishing a lot. The guy writes a bit like Cormac McCarthy and the book was favorably compareded to " The Road" but I found it nowhere near as depressing. I recommend it.

"Devolution" by Max Brooks is also a pretty fun book. It's a bigfoot book by Mel Brooks' son, but it's not as hokey and stupid as everything else in that genre. And it's set in Western WA
I agree that The Dog Stars might be compared to The Road but you summed it up well, not quite as dark. I've read all of McCarthy's books except one (I don't remember the title), I had to quit halfway through, Jeez, it was disgustingly graphic.

Reactions: Zak

Big Tuna

Steelhead
Just finished Empire of the Summer Moon. About a third of the way through Fellowship of the Ring. After reading non-fiction, a little fantasy is needed.

Mark Melton

Life of the Party
I downloaded a classic and read it while in Alaska: The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. I probably read this book while in junior high school, 60 or so years ago.
I try and read that along with The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn every couple years.

Replicant

Steelhead
I just read "The Dog Stars" by Peter Heller. It's a post-apocalyptic type story that features fly fishing a lot. The guy writes a bit like Cormac McCarthy and the book was favorably compareded to " The Road" but I found it nowhere near as depressing. I recommend it.

"Devolution" by Max Brooks is also a pretty fun book. It's a bigfoot book by Mel Brooks' son, but it's not as hokey and stupid as everything else in that genre. And it's set in Western WA
Just finished "The Dog Stars". I see that Im not the only one who liked it. It's not "The Road" (thank God), but I see the similarities. I was given two more books by Heller and will start on them shortly.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Just finished "The Dog Stars". I see that Im not the only one who liked it. It's not "The Road" (thank God), but I see the similarities. I was given two more books by Heller and will start on them shortly.
The River must be the other book, it too is very well written.

Xoxo

I’ve read all of the Peter Heller books and they are all good. I liked Celine too!

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
About finished with the Borrowed World series by Franklin Horton.

I think and hope that his view is a little on the pessimistic side but. He's probably right on.
I greatly prefer Brad Manuel's take in The last Tribe

I hope we never have to find out who's right

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I'd like to plug anything by Malcolm Gladwell. He has a unique way of questioning conventional wisdom and assumptions to arrive at conclusions that don't seem to need much explanation. He is brilliant! I've ready or listened to reading from David and Goliath, What the Dog Saw, and Bomber Mafia.

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Properties of Thirst by Marianne Wiggins. Set at the beginning of WWII, it tells about the internment of Japanese-Americans on the west coast and the young Jewish attorney working for the Department of Interior who was tasked with building and administration of the first few years of the Manzanar Internment Camp, set in the Owens Valley at the base of Mt. Whitney. A parallel story of the rancher who owns the 30K acres across the road and his decades long fight with the Los Angeles Water District that diverted the Owens river to supply the LA area with water and consequently decimate a beautiful valley. Beautifully crafted writing that strikes a chord, no matter how you fell about the internment of American citizens. Something there for the epicurean as well. I’ve been to the site several times, all that’s left is a historical marker and the stone gatehouse. There’s a very strong vibe there, a majestic place with a row of 13-14,000 foot mountains right behind.

kerrys

Ignored Member
Finished reading Starry Messenger: Cosmic Perspective on Civilization. If you are familiar with Neil deGrasse Tyson you will enjoy this book. Not a great read but written well enough to finish.

mark wlker

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Just finished People's Republic", "Indian Country" and "Wildfire" by Kurt Schlichter. His fourth book, "Inferno" arrived from Amazon this morning.
Started "Legends and Lies, The Real West" from Bill O'Reilly and "Taming of the West, Age of the Gunfighter" by Joseph G. Rosa.