NFR 2022 Baseball Thread

Non-fishing related

wetline dave

Steelhead
Maybe this team just needs to age and mature and let the talent gain their potential.

Sometimes continuity is more important rather than trading and replacing. This team seems to have a good base and chemistry which is good for a certain number of wins in that alone.

Develop what you have and move foreword. That is what most of the great teams have done.

Dave

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
That may be what many great teams do, but remember, this is the Mariners. I try to manage my expectations. So I expect that as we've so often seen before, as Mariner players develop their potential for championship play, the Mariners will trade them to another team, giving both the developed players and their new teams a genuine shot at a championship. I maintain that the Mariners is one of the best farm team clubs in the country.

Shad

Life of the Party
This team's weakness was hitting for average (particularly with RISP). They did an almost historic job of making up for it with pitching and timely home runs, but at the end of the day, you've got to hit the ball more frequently than the other guys to win consistently.

Winker and Ray both underperformed this year, but they were both said to be great teammates, and that matters. If those guys improved even a little next year, this team would be much, much better.

Lots to be positive about...

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Have to wonder a couple things. Would Servais have pulled Suarez if he knew he would have had another 4 AB's with the game on the line? And who did he plan to start on the mound in game 4 if there had been one? Gilbert on 4 days rest or Gonzalez? Hats off to the M's. That was the most fun I have had watching or listening to baseball in many years. Looking forward to next spring.

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
Have to wonder a couple things. Would Servais have pulled Suarez if he knew he would have had another 4 AB's with the game on the line? And who did he plan to start on the mound in game 4 if there had been one? Gilbert on 4 days rest or Gonzalez? Hats off to the M's. That was the most fun I have had watching or listening to baseball in many years. Looking forward to next spring.
Marco wasn't on the postseason roster for ALDS, so it would have been Gilbert game 4 and Castillo on short rest game 5.

Mukman

Life of the Party
Just for funsies, I went back and looked at the amazing ALDS against the Yankees in 95. I was able to take my wife and two sons (now 38 and 35) to those three amazing games at the Kingdome. If I remember, I think I had to take a home equity loan to pay for the tickets.

Given the game we witnessed last night here’s an amazing stat for that series:

Game 1: Griffey hits 2 dingers
Game 2: Griffey hits a dinger
Game 3: Johnson starts, no dingers by Griffey
Game 4: Griffey hits a dinger
Game 5: Johnson pitches two innings in relief, Griffey hits a dinger. Oh yeah, Edgar hit a double

I post this for two reasons: 1). When “tomorrow” was in question, our ace pitched in relief after starting Game 3, and 2) What a unique, perhaps once in a lifetime talent Griffey was. We know that, it’s in our psyche, first ballot HoF’er, but given how difficult runs were to generate in this last series, it’s amazing to remember just how special he was. I’m glad my sons got to see him play.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Classic trashtros....

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Wondered that as soon as I saw Harper call Bohm over from the on deck circle and whisper in his ear - might have been for show, get in someone's head, but it made you think. McCullers to his credit just says he got wooped, course unlikely wants to admit he may have been tipping.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Wondered that as soon as I saw Harper call Bohm over from the on deck circle and whisper in his ear - might have been for show, get in someone's head, but it made you think. McCullers to his credit just says he got wooped, course unlikely wants to admit he may have been tipping.
Pedro thought he was tipping by the height of his glove lift during delivery, but none of the home runs came on quality pitches. Most were breaking balls middle-middle. Tough to make an opinion without rewatching and focusing/tracking it.