Personal Raft Opinions

cole_p

Yelling at trout
Forum Supporter
Hi all. Interested in grabbing a watermaster Kodiak or something similar to do solo floats on the yak or similar river. Might try some lakes too. I’ve floated the yak plenty of times in a 3 man raft with buddies and am confident in rowing ability.

I’m not confident in which one I should get. Some quick research this morning lead me to a few options. Curious if anyone has any experience in these, would recommend something else, or maybe has one they’re ok with letting go.

Interesting options I’ve found:
Watermaster Kodiak
Outcast Clearwater
Dave Scadden Assault X

Thanks y’all

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I might also suggest talking to board member @BDD at CatcherCraft as well.
Good luck in your search.
SF

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I've had a WM Kodiak for more than 10 years and am still pleased with it. I finally bought the heavy duty oars this last year. The originals still work well enough, but the ferrules have developed some play, which isn't bad considering the service they have been through. Outcast makes good products, but I don't own any. Scadden makes some interesting designs, but all the horror stories about service are enough that I wouldn't consider them.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I'm an Outcast fan. I've owned several of their one-person boats, framed and frameless, and keep going back for more. Zero complaints.

I will be getting a Clearwater next. Currently own a couple Commanders.

cole_p

Yelling at trout
Forum Supporter
The Outcast Clearwater’s higher seat and seemingly sturdy oar locks have me leaning that direction.

Catchcraft looks awesome too. What’s the difference between the $1950 and $2000 “deluxe” package?

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
It depends on a lot of factors, like your needs for storage and where you gonna use it most. You may end up needing multiple boats. How's you storage space at home? and in the vehicle you will travel with? Only need it for one, or occasionally bring a friend or SO? Mostly rivers or mostly lakes? Just the Yak, or the occasional trip down the Deschutes or Grande Ronde?

Of the boats you mentioned, I have owned only the Scadden Assault, and I don't no more. It is lightweight for a reason, thin walls on their tubes, did not feel comfortable going down the Ronde in that boat. Also I do not like pinned oars on moving water, but that may be just me. If you will be on moving water a lot I prefer a framed boat. But that is more storage and more weight.

I love all the Outcast stuff I have owned and still own. I really love the stuff that Catchercraft has to offer, though I have never owned any.

cole_p

Yelling at trout
Forum Supporter
Storage should be fine and I drive a Ranger with a 6ft bed. I have a canopy on the bed. Hoping the raft and frame will fit once deflated.

Yak with occasional trips elsewhere describes my plans yep. I’ve never actually fished in lakes but would be keen on trying. I have a few in mind.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
The Outcast Clearwater’s higher seat and seemingly sturdy oar locks have me leaning that direction.

Catchcraft looks awesome too. What’s the difference between the $1950 and $2000 “deluxe” package?
The Deluxe has a beefy welded frame .

I have an Outcast Commander and it's great. I also have a Catchercraft Freestone and it's what I'd use for anything CII or above. On calm water I can stand up on the seat of the Freestone (Deluxe frame) which would not be advised in the Commander.

I liked the Freestone so much, I actually bought two of them... I got an extra for friends and family and as it turns out, none of my friends and family like fishing, or rather they would prefer that I row them around in my driftboat for "picnics on the river when it's sunny and warm".

So, I have an extra Freestone with Deluxe frame, oars, etc. that I would be willing to sell. Never been out of it's bag so I'm not even sure of the color but I think it might be red. The one I've been using is kind of a teal green. Great boats and BDD the owner is a gem to deal with.
01.16.22.01.jpg

Last edited:

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Have had many great days with a Watermaster Kodiak and have an extra which I purchased in case someone wanted to join me. Would come with Caviness oars if you have an interest.

Freestone

Life of the Party
Forum Legend
I have had a WaterMaster Kodiak for years. When the Commander and then Clearwater came out, I used them both for a day and decided to stick with my WM. Of the two, I did like the Clearwater better.

However, none of these boats come anywhere close to the performance of a Freestone! On moving water, there is nothing like having real oars on a solid frame. This fall, I did a 5 day fishing/float trip with a Freestone and even though it was only Class 2 (at low flow), there were a couple of situations that probably would have ended badly if I didn’t have the leverage of real oars/frame. Someday, I will get rid of my WM and splurge on a Freestone.

BDD

Steelhead
If I were @cole_p I'd buy @Thomas Mitchell's extra boat.

If you need the lighter and more compact breakdown frame, then we should do a 3-way deal in that I'll buy the frame from Thomas, you buy his boat, and we'll get you the breakdown frame. I reluctantly sold my deluxe Freestone frame earlier this fall to a guy who desperately wanted it, knowing that it would be months before I could get Ken to build me a new one.

Win-Win-Win.

I would use the deluxe on my trip starting tomorrow if I had one. Since I don't, I'll have to resort to a breakdown frame, the same one I took to AK earlier this spring. Of course, it worked great transporting on an airplane (and floating the river) but my trip tomorrow I'll be driving. When that is the case, I prefer the deluxe. Everything in life is a compromise. Regardless, BC, here I come (assuming I can get across the border).

Last edited:

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
If I were @cole_p I'd buy @Thomas Mitchell's extra boat.

If you need the lighter and more compact breakdown frame, then we should do a 3-way deal in that I'll buy the frame from Thomas, you buy his boat, and we'll get you the breakdown frame. I reluctantly sold my deluxe Freestone frame earlier this fall to a guy who desperately wanted it, knowing that it would be months before I could get Ken to build me a new one.

Win-Win-Win.

I would use the deluxe on my trip starting tomorrow if I had one. Since I don't, I'll have to resort to a breakdown frame, the same one I took to AK earlier this spring. Of course, it worked great transporting on an airplane (and floating the river) but my trip tomorrow I'll be driving. When that is the case, I prefer the deluxe. Everything in life is a compromise. Regardless, BC, here I come (assuming I can get across the border).
Good luck!!