Things you know now that you wish you did back then

cedarslug

Steelhead
You, yes you! You're probably a competent angler now! Those years of whacking through brush, losing your flies to casting knots, and falling in the river made you the angler you are now today.

But what about back then? Back when you first started out fly fishing. You were probably some pathetic try hard that failed and failed over again, until you tried something new and found success. Or maybe you were the kid in the back of the class that was too shy to ask questions, and always left in behind. Well here's your chance to help out those novices, beginners, and n00bz. More importantly, this is your opportunity to admit something that you wish you had known back then.

I'll start...

Wading Safety

We're lucky to have numerous freestone streams and rivers in the PNW. We're also fortunate to have access to coastal water and beaches. That being said, rocks can be slippery here, and sneaker waves can quietly take you out. Take out those dang earbuds, and be aware of your surroundings. Wade cautiously through water, bring a wading staff, and take smaller steps. Polarized glasses will help you see bottom. And if you can't see bottom, assume each step is going end well. Careful of bigger rocks that may look tempting for your foot to land, but are often times have the smoothest of surfaces. Make sure your waders are cinched up correctly, so when you do fall, you are keeping excess water from pouring into your waders. Lastly, don't cast and move at the same time! Stay planted and cast - you're neither that coordinated nor athletic.

TL;DR

• Bring polarized glasses
• Use wading staff
• Watch out for slippery stuff
• Smaller steps
• Cinch and secure up those waders
• No casting and moving

1. Keep your secret spots secret.
2. Never get angry when some idiot shows you the depths of his rudeness, or the shallowness of his genetic pool. Always remember why you're there and focus on that. Someone who's acting like a fool has been rehearsing for the role all his life.
3. Mentor youth. Teach them that fishing is more than catching fish. It's about building memories that are better when shared. It's about paying close attention to the world around and observing how small things are of big importance. Mentor a youth and he or she will remember you always and pay you the best reward through their memories of you while they mentor youth a generation after you are gone.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
Invest in Whatcom county real estate
in 1975 and be a multi millionaire 40 years.
Fish the Thompson River steelhead because they'll be gone some day.
Have a plan for your life and not just to find where the next party is.
Fish the NF Stilly more.
Fish the BC interior lakes
and central Washington lakes more.
Wear adequate polarized eye protection consistently when on the water.
Stay off toxic substances that ruin your health.
Lift with your knees.
Proper posture is really important.
This list could fall under the NFR heading, but I got off track on a tangent not knowing where it would lead. I love my life today, but can't say I have no regrets.😍

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
I learned not to slip my arse off a bank and into my tube...did a 180...Jim Lockhart was there, we were going in the backside route to a small laj
ke with out
r tubes...crossed a little creek swollen by spring rains and white water. but it was just a crick after all... I also have learned even if the coho were in and thick if you start wading past your waist and are feeling really tiptoe bouyant it is time for aborting the mission. Learned chum salmon are not something to fish for even circumstantually with a Loomis 3 piece 3 wt. I learned a lot of other things but I have forgotten.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I noticed that you listed the N/F Stilly. When is it open . They close it down to protect what ever is running up river.

Steve Vaughn

Still learning
Forum Supporter
Been flyfishing over 60 years. Had several significant lulls in fishing over the decades as life and work demands held sway. My main observation is that I should have fished more, and worked far less.

While I can distinctly remember a great many specific fishing days with gratitude and good feelings, there were few work days that generate such positive memories.
And yet at almost 71 I still am having a hard time leaving my work completely. This amazes me, but I will find out this summer what retiring is all about. I have a 10 year old grandson who is counting on me.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
Ever see a rock near shore move? You have? PSSST here is a secret. That ain't a rock it is a big ass mudda fudda.. Cast a few feet in front of it and if your line tightens see how much fun it is catching that 'rock'...
I was fishing the N/F Skykomish one winter day with a buddy of mine. He was down below me not having any luck. He then moved above me and hooked a rock near the opposite bank. His line was in the water and the current was a little strong. He swore that the rock/fish was moving up stream. So I reeled up my line and walked up to where he was playing his rock/fish. I asked for his rod and held his rod up and reeled up his loose line. Here you are and and playing with a rock. He tried to get it loose but ended up breaking it off.

He went back below me a caught a Steelhead. My luck at Steelheading always sucked.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
And yet at almost 71 I still am having a hard time leaving my work completely. This amazes me, but I will find out this summer what retiring is all about. I have a 10 year old grandson who is counting on me.
Believe me, I know that feeling.

cedarslug

Steelhead
The1/2 dozen right fly patterns for almost anywhere I fish

To add on top of this,

Carry at least 3 flies of the recommended size and pattern

Maybe you’re visiting a new area, or you’re on the trip of your lifetime, and you ask the local shop about recommended flies. They politely tell you a few patterns and sizes that are working currently. Don’t just buy a one fly of that specific pattern and specific size - purchase at at least three.

Preemptively account for your losses. You’re gonna lose one to a tree, you’re gonna lose one to the “biggest fish you hooked”, and that third fly is gonna save your day. You already spent xxx amount of money traveling to big water, don’t cheap out on an extra set of flies.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Realization…I-don’t recognize how to do a lot of things. One for instance is my inability to discern how to edit a posted comment here. It’ like writing on a stone tablet with a chisel.