Got any bird pics?

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
I know, I know. I drove all the way to the Yakima and did not bring my fly rod. Nope, it was me and the wifey birding / wildlflower adventure up the Umtanum Canyon. It was quite successful. I added two new species to my life list: yellow-breasted chat and rough-winged swallows. And we had a number of great views of lazuli buntings, like this one.
C03LazuiliBunting2219.jpg

Steve

riseform

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Impressive! I am working on my BIF game, so I know how tough these are.
Thanks, but I have to admit since switching to mirrorless (I went with the OM-1) it feels like I'm cheating. With my DSLR I had to work really hard for what I considered a quality BIF photo. The flicker photo is still a bit soft (should have used a faster shutter speed) but the current "computer attached to a lens" mirrorless cameras with tracking and bird eye focus are downright scary.

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Thanks, but I have to admit since switching to mirrorless (I went with the OM-1) it feels like I'm cheating. With my DSLR I had to work really hard for what I considered a quality BIF photo. The flicker photo is still a bit soft (should have used a faster shutter speed) but the current "computer attached to a lens" mirrorless cameras with tracking and bird eye focus are downright scary.
I tried the OM-1 mk2 and liked the size and instant feedback from the electronic viewfinder, but I burned through batteries in ~300 shots and if I had polarized glasses on, the viewfinder was nearly unusable.

I really wanted to like the setup but those are two heavy non-starters.

Edit: maybe it was the EM something mk2. Whatever it was.... Pass.

Last edited:

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
'Took a long bike ride alongside the Duwamish this past Monday. On my way back I was startled to pass- WHAT? An owl standing on the shoulder. I circled back and yes, there was this Barn Owl holding its wing awkwardly. Of course I wanted to help, but it quickly ducked under the guardrail and scooted through the Horsetail into an impenetrable Blackberry thicket. Wading in after it would have spelled disaster for my spandex clad legs, and then how does one grab a panicked owl barehanded without suffering major lacerations? I felt helpless to do anything, and am still sad. Such beautiful creatures! IMG_6461 copy.jpg

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
Can't tell you how many shitty pics of birds I've taken.
I think all of us back here could probably say the same thing! At least these days there's digital. Film and developing costs would have prohibited me from every trying for flight pics!

Last edited: