NFR "The Hypocrite" TGR film about advocacy/fossil fuels/Outdoor State

Non-fishing related
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogsnfish

Steelhead
A reminder/pre-warning/etc from the admins...

This is outdoors/fishing adjacent and, like WDFW/ODFW, wolves, steelhead lawsuits, etc, it sort of slips into a loophole in our "keep political bickering and culture wars off the site" rules. And because of that, we try to let them stick around in the hopes that we can all learn a thing of two from the minds in this community.

That said, it doesn't mean that it's a free for all. That's what Twitter or Facebook or Reddit are for. Be chill, share your perspective and how it relates to YOU without shitting on others. If you can't say what you want to say without insulting other people who don't agree, you shouldn't say anything. Especially not here.

Nobody's mind was ever changed because of an argument on the internet.
The admins need to install an app that kicks in when arguments get too heated. Sends posters to the Awesome Dogs thread to chill for a few minutes.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
No more windmills is rural areas for urban power generation is a systematic change I'd like to see.. windmills are ugly and destructive.
So what is your solution to obtaining energy? Hydro dams, coal fired plants, oil and gas fired plants, nuclear power plants; basically all forms of energy generation are ugly and destructive of various resources. If you want a "No ugly or destructive" lifestyle, then you're talking about having no energy, and we haven't learned how to live without energy - not even a campfire or woodstove - probably because it isn't possible.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
But discounting any effort because we don't think it's going to work or make enough of a difference makes it seem like you've already answered the "can we get there from here" with a "no" and given up on even trying.
It's not my intent to discount anything, but rather to be realistic and as accurate as possible in evaluating the effectiveness of each and every alternative. I have not answered with a no. I'm genuinely curious about how many alternatives and levels of participation it will take to achieve that 1.5*C threshold to mitigate a climate crisis. Absent that it is impossible to know if we can get there from here or from anywhere.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Zero new 4th Gen nuclear power plants have been built in the USA since climate doom became a governmental priority. Why not? If it is truly an existential threat, the federal government would have streamlined regulatory permitting for their construction years ago.
Streamlining has not been a part of government DNA since the end of WWII, with the possible exception of the space race, as near as I can tell.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
They’re proposing 146,000 acres in Idaho for a wind farm, that’s public land…😡
The real estate footprint on land for a coal fired plant that produces the equivalent amount of energy would undoubtedly be fewer acres. However, the air pollution impacts would also undoubtedly cover a far larger atmospheric acreage. Choices, choices.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
But Seattle keeps building light rail..
Sound transit light rail seems like a great transportation concept. The plan, as developed by ST is projected to reduce the use of car transit by 3% when completed. Of course, car transit commuting will have increased by considerably more than 3% by that point in time. My critiques likely come off as negative, but my intention is to point out how incredibly small is the effect of implementing the various alternatives.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
all portending catastrophic scenarios due to overpopulation...that never happened.
Never happened? Seriously? So breathable air and drinkable water exists abundantly everywhere on the planet? No, I don't think so. Actually, you and I both know so. I guess one could say that it is not over population per se that degrades vital resources so much as inadequate mitigation measures. Nonetheless, last time I checked, nearly every vital resource necessary to human sustenance is in finite supply. Yeah, well, how about human ingenuity and our ability to create a way out of this mess? Last time I checked, our supply of that was decreasing faster than our need for it was increasing. But chasing that sub-topic might get me in political mischief here.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Overpopulation is certainly not the root of our problems.
How so? I mean, if population is low relative to resource abundance, then everyone can consume as much energy and resources as they wish and pollute as much as they wish, and the environment can remain healthy overall. When the population is large, then exactly the inverse occurs. If my implied and inferred calculations are wrong, help me understand how.

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
It's not my intent to discount anything, but rather to be realistic and as accurate as possible in evaluating the effectiveness of each and every alternative. I have not answered with a no. I'm genuinely curious about how many alternatives and levels of participation it will take to achieve that 1.5*C threshold to mitigate a climate crisis. Absent that it is impossible to know if we can get there from here or from anywhere.
This desire to be as realistic and accurate as possible has caused me a great deal of stress in my professional life as both the hypocritical athlete that travels the world promoting consumption and as a biologist that often sees the results of overpopulation, overconsumption, waste, and all that stuff too. And as you just mentioned in regards to ST and traffic, the speed of the best available science is far slower than the speed of policy, growth, and everything else. By the time the solution is implemented, the problem's already way bigger.

I don't want to quit my professional athletic pursuits so I took the pay cut and decided to work with brands that were more sustainable/environmental in their approach vs. working with the bigger, dirtier, more "corporate" brands. A drop in the bucket, maybe, but it clears a bit of my conscience.

I was so frustrated by the speed of science getting outpaced by the speed of policy that I tried switching gears from being a biologist and influencing policy that way to being a naturalist guide and trying to directly influence rich people who vote. The results were mostly positive with the guests but unfortunately the corporate medium in which I worked was a different kind of unsustainable hell.

So I'm kind of back at square one, but I haven't given up yet.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
So what is your solution to obtaining energy? Hydro dams, coal fired plants, oil and gas fired plants, nuclear power plants; basically all forms of energy generation are ugly and destructive of various resources. If you want a "No ugly or destructive" lifestyle, then you're talking about having no energy, and we haven't learned how to live without energy - not even a campfire or woodstove - probably because it isn't possible.
How about windmills in Portland and Seattle!

I am all for nuclear power. Build them close to where the power is needed... again Seattle and Portland.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I strongly suspect that seeking this change via only voluntary action will be about as successful as trying to run a country having only voluntary taxes. The free rider concept is too deeply embedded in the human psyche for this to work.
Then such a plan should not occur at all.. it is clearly opposed to the will of the people.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter

I am all for nuclear power. Build them close to where the power is needed... again Seattle and Portland.
Windmills need to be located where there is lots of wind, which apparently is not where most cities are located, except possibly Chicago, since it's called the "windy city." The Trojan nuclear plant was located sorta' near Portland, but it was shut down and dismantled because it was uneconomic. Maybe it would have been economical if there weren't any safety requirements? I don't know; just thinking out loud.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Then such a plan should not occur at all.. it is clearly opposed to the will of the people.
Then we have a conundrum. The will of the people is generally opposed to anarchy. The will of the people generally wants a government and the essential services and infrastructure it can provide. And the will of many of the people is that they won't voluntarily pay (taxes) for these things that they both want and need. I am interested in how you would get there from here, given your proclivity to not agitate the will of the people.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
How so? I mean, if population is low relative to resource abundance, then everyone can consume as much energy and resources as they wish and pollute as much as they wish, and the environment can remain healthy overall. When the population is large, then exactly the inverse occurs. If my implied and inferred calculations are wrong, help me understand how.
I think there are lots of options, but the question is cost related.

1708569074732.png

I'm all for light rail, but I think work from home is much more realistic. The technology is there. The main obstacles seem to be old school corporate think(culture/ management) and the value of commercial office spaces. There are very few office jobs that can't be done from remote locations.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
1708570644844.png

Fourbtgait

Steelhead

View attachment 104265

I'm all for light rail, but I think work from home is much more realistic. The technology is there. The main obstacles seem to be old school corporate think(culture/ management) and the value of commercial office spaces. There are very few office jobs that can't be done from remote locations.
There was an article not to long ago about the amount of solar power that would be created by installing them as pictured just in Walmart parking lots…

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter

View attachment 104265

Shoot, even in non-"office" type jobs, WFH is often available. For me, I can do virtually (hehe) all of my work virtually outside of the specific research visits. Even many of the docs I work with do quite a bit virtually (outside of the obvious clinic days).

That said, for me personally (probably the ADHD in me), I have a tough time working multiple days in a row from home but I do love the ability to vary it up quite a bit.

Zak

Legend

I've wondered whether buildings could offset some of a city's energy consumtion by installing small/micro wind turbines along rooftop edges, or by design features that channel wind toward wind turbine installations. I know abosolutely nothing about the technical aspects, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.