Five stages of fishing

Zoran

Steelhead
Found this image online. Do you agree to this philosophy and where you are at the moment? I am on my way out of trophy hunter stage and I think I am entering stage of Method.

I have:
Tenkara rod
Orvis Fiberglass small stream rod
Winston Small stream rod
Diamondback euro rod
Nam trout spey rod
Nam spey rod
Hardy 8wt 10ft salmon rod
Bamboo rod

IMG_6396.png

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
How long does each step take?

I’ve been on “Trophy Numbers Hunter” for 40 years. I wanna catch all the fish and the biggest fish in every body of water I’m allowed to fish or “allowed” to fish.

Edit: removed list of gear as I misunderstood.

Last edited:

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
How long does each step take?

I’ve been on “Trophy Numbers Hunter” for 40 years. I wanna catch all the fish and the biggest fish in every body of water I’m allowed to fish or “allowed” to fish.

Not sure why we're listing gear, but I have and fished the following in the last year:

1 x 000 weight
1 x 0 weight
2 x 2 weight
1 x 3 weight
1 x 4 weight
4 x 6 weight
2 x 8 weight
1 x 11 weight
1 x 12 weight
1 x 13 weight
1 x 17/18 weight

1 x 7 weight spey
2 x 8 weight spey
1 x 9 weight spey
Holy shit! I am seriously behind.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I think I got one foot on the method step and one on the master step. I like big fish, and I like numbers, but as long as I get ONE, I'm good for the day. Maybe that makes me a beginner. I learn so much from folks here maybe that's my true location. Some days I have trouble deciding how I want to fish, anything from Euro to Boo.

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Someone should list how many light rain shells and pairs of Sealskinz socks they own.
SF

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The problem is that they are quite mingled especially the "master" stage. And that stage is utterly dumb anyways. I actually feel sorry for guys who say the just want to go fishing and don't care about catching anything. I get you can enjoy a day on the water without catching the fish. Lord knows I do it all the time. LOL BUT I still want to catch fish badly. If I didn't then what is the point of going? I can enjoy being in nature of whatever you want to call it in cheaper ways than fishing!!

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
The one stage I always see missing on those stage lists is "catching a fish on a fly you tied yourself". For me that was one of the biggest milestones when I was starting out.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
The problem is that they are quite mingled especially the "master" stage. And that stage is utterly dumb anyways. I actually feel sorry for guys who say the just want to go fishing and don't care about catching anything. I get you can enjoy a day on the water without catching the fish. Lord knows I do it all the time. LOL BUT I still want to catch fish badly. If I didn't then what is the point of going? I can enjoy being in nature of whatever you want to call it in cheaper ways than fishing!!

Totally agreed. I too never understood this concept. I can stand in a river and enjoy nature without spending 1k+ on gear if that's all it's about.

There are a lot of really cool extras that come with a day spent on the water, but all of those things can be achieved without bringing a rod or making a single cast.

Zoran

Steelhead
Some of my friends here think fly casting competitions and people who compete are dumb because they are not targeting fish. I personally never watched it. Except Whitney Gould once. It was impressive. She was not fishing there.