NFR NFL 2023 Season

Non-fishing related

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Four paragraphs, and not one mention of insubordination ? I believe in the chain of command. He was given a play to run , you run that play , game’s won , it’s done .
I mean, that's sort of the basis of the whole thing though, isn't it? The players decided to do something on their own and it risked other players getting hurt. Didn't seem like it needed to be specifically mentioned out since Dennis Allen made it real clear that the call wasn't coming from him.

To be honest, given that I don't care one way or the other about the Saints or Falcons, the insubordination aspect only interests me to the extent that injuring other players on a play like that (and thus causing all players/coaches to not respect kneeldowns going forward) is bad for overall league quality.

Chain of command in the NFL is in the eye of the beholder. Everyone loves a QB like Manning or Farve who change plays at the line and win. Winston was just stupid enough to do it in a situation where he looks like a jackass and could have gotten someone hurt. It's more the stupidity that would bother me if I were a fan of the Saints than the insubordination itself.

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I mean, that's sort of the basis of the whole thing though, isn't it? The players decided to do something on their own and it risked other players getting hurt. Didn't seem like it needed to be specifically mentioned out since Dennis Allen made it real clear that the call wasn't coming from him.

To be honest, given that I don't care one way or the other about the Saints or Falcons, the insubordination aspect only interests me to the extent that injuring other players on a play like that (and thus causing all players/coaches to not respect kneeldowns going forward) is bad for overall league quality.

Chain of command in the NFL is in the eye of the beholder. Everyone loves a QB like Manning or Farve who change plays at the line and win. Winston was just stupid enough to do it in a situation where he looks like a jackass and could have gotten someone hurt. It's more the stupidity that would bother me if I were a fan of the Saints than the insubordination itself.

He wasn't standing there changing a play in the heat of the battle at the line of scrimmage , good lord the game was done ,the mans an idiot .

You really think a Manning or Favre would of done that ,hell no !! , not under those circumstances . You have a strange take on insubordination, almost seems like you think the inmates should be running the prison .

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
He wasn't standing there changing a play in the heat of the battle at the line of scrimmage , good lord the game was done ,the mans an idiot .

You really think a Manning or Favre would of done that ,hell no !! , not under those circumstances . You have a strange take on insubordination, almost seems like you think the inmates should be running the prison .
If that's what you got out of what I wrote, then I'd suggest we have a communication issue more than anything. But so goes internet debate (and for that matter, sports fandom).

Regardless, once the UW plays tonight I'm done with football for the year. Go Kraken.

Cheers to all!

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
If that's what you got out of what I wrote, then I'd suggest we have a communication issue more than anything. But so goes internet debate (and for that matter, sports fandom).

Regardless, once the UW plays tonight I'm done with football for the year. Go Kraken.

Cheers to all!
That’s very possible it’s communications , we all have different views for sure , no worries.

Not much of a college fan , but do enjoy the bowl games . I’m leaning towards Washington , but just hoping for a good game.

EB590

Steelhead
I really don't have a problem with what winston did and I thought he handled himself well in the interview.

He's not perfect but he always came across to me as a leader on the field and someone who is all in for his teammates.

Agree he didn't listen to his coach, but this isn't high school it's the NFL. The saints need to decide what they want to do regarding him not following the play. If Tom Brady did this nobody would be calling to cut him. When you're shit kicking a team in a game that means nothing who really cares if you score again.

If anyone should be pissed it should be Derek Carr who would most likely be the target of any retaliation.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Eh, I'm sure his draft stock will be what it was halfway through the season. If we based everything on a single game, we wouldn't get anywhere with any of these guys. Take out the high and the low and that's closer to what you're going to have.

Besides, most QBs struggle when the defenders are right in their lap. Did he miss several throws? Yeah...but that honestly wouldn't change my mind....

coming from a professional scout with 637 years of experience scouting these guys...😆

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Eh, I'm sure his draft stock will be what it was halfway through the season. If we based everything on a single game, we wouldn't get anywhere with any of these guys. Take out the high and the low and that's closer to what you're going to have.

Besides, most QBs struggle when the defenders are right in their lap. Did he miss several throws? Yeah...but that honestly wouldn't change my mind....

coming from a professional scout with 637 years of experience scouting these guys...😆
Keep in mind this is coming from *this* professional scout that has watched him for 4 quarters ;)

Last edited:

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin

He was under pressure a lot, but it was in how he handled it. He was jittery, lost his cool, and just plain seemed super uncomfortable. Geno went through that a bit midseason, too, just not nearly to the same degree. Point is, if he's that unstable with college defense, I'd hate to see him against an NFL D-line.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
He was under pressure a lot, but it was in how he handled it. He was jittery, lost his cool, and just plain seemed super uncomfortable. Geno went through that a bit midseason, too, just not nearly to the same degree. Point is, if he's that unstable with college defense, I'd hate to see him against an NFL D-line.
I also think his ribs were hurting a bit more than most of us know…

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
First time I'd seen him, but he looked like a 1 read QB. That ain't gonna cut it in the NFL.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
I blame Salmo...
Rumor has it his critiques of the running game made it to the C suite, and they have him in line for the job. Otherwise, how does he break the news ?
Coincidence, I think not.
Now after ruining our fisheries, he's moving on to ruining our football team !!!
😁

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I mean honestly, watching them the past few years on offense would have been exciting back in the 60’s.
It just seemed like they play so try not to lose conservative. The defense hasn’t been great either.
So when does the franchise sale take place?
I’ve seen both 2024 and 2025 in various articles.
SF