Single hand integrated sink tip fly line: 6wt s6 15’ - questions

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I have become very comfortable fishing a 15‘ type 6 integrated sink tip line on my 9’ 6 weight rods. I like that configuration. Shorter tips don’t do it for me. I know some swear by the 24’ tips, and I’ve never tried them, but I know the 15’ works for me. For a long time I’ve used RIO’s offering for this, but they don’t seem to sell it any more and I have not located new old stock for a 6 weight.
It seems like this 6 weight S6 sinktip line had a 150 grain head, but I can’t find specs on the old line, nor an old box. Anyone know?

This line from Cortland looks promising. https://www.cortlandline.com/products/streamer-sink-tip-15 Anyone have experience with it? I really would like to learn what grain weight the old RIO sink tip lines were, because these Cortland lines look heavy. I am not sure if I would want the 160 grain “5 weight” or 185 grain “6 weight” model.

I am open to hearing other suggestions, too, but mostly I want something pretty darn close to that configuration. Gotta be fully integrated; I don’t want any “bumps” on this setup.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Can't help on integrated line but rio does make replacement tip. You may be able to graft this permanently if you don't want to deal with the hinge?

Hi, I’m well aware of that and other tips and it’s not at all what I need, but thanks. The reason I need a new line is the old one is shot.

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
I have become very comfortable fishing a 15‘ type 6 integrated sink tip line on my 9’ 6 weight rods. I like that configuration. Shorter tips don’t do it for me. I know some swear by the 24’ tips, and I’ve never tried them, but I know the 15’ works for me. For a long time I’ve used RIO’s offering for this, but they don’t seem to sell it any more and I have not located new old stock for a 6 weight.
It seems like this 6 weight S6 sinktip line had a 150 grain head, but I can’t find specs on the old line, nor an old box. Anyone know?

This line from Cortland looks promising. https://www.cortlandline.com/products/streamer-sink-tip-15 Anyone have experience with it? I really would like to learn what grain weight the old RIO sink tip lines were, because these Cortland lines look heavy. I am not sure if I would want the 160 grain “5 weight” or 185 grain “6 weight” model.

I am open to hearing other suggestions, too, but mostly I want something pretty darn close to that configuration. Gotta be fully integrated; I don’t want any “bumps” on this setup.
I don't have experience with the Cortland 15' sinking tip but an Orvis 7 weight 15' sinking tip is my goto line for bull trout fishing. The 15' sinking tip seems less clunky and casts easier for me than a heavy 10' or 5' sinking tip. I think the 15' cortland sink tip would be a great line.

I own 10 cortland sylk and cortland intermediate lines. They are the best value line on the market.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter

My very first 6wt rod I spooled it with a Rio 15 sink tip line...I have caught a ton of fish streamer fishing on that setup. I gave it to my godson last June (along with my first 4wt) and he has caught fish on it as well...

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
My very first 6wt rod I spooled it with a Rio 15 sink tip line...I have caught a ton of fish streamer fishing on that setup. I gave it to my godson last June (along with my first 4wt) and he has caught fish on it as well...
It just works for me. I have gone through at least two of those if not three. They lasted a decent long while as long as I kept from stepping on them.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
At 6 grains per foot, a six wt should be around 180 grains. Line weights are figured by the weight of the first 30'

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
At 6 grains per foot, a six wt should be around 180 grains. Line weights are figured by the weight of the first 30'
Is that what a type 6 tip is?—6 grains per foot? I always thought it meant it’s supposed to sink at 6 inches per second.

Also, that doesn’t figure in the fact that 15 feet of that 30 foot head is sinking line and 15 feet is floating line.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
"type 6" is the sink rate.
The line should weigh ~ 180 grains in the first 30' regardless of whether it floats, sinks, or both.
Buy the six weight line.

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Matt,
I think you’re looking for Rio’s sku 6-21134 In Touch Sink Tip 15 ft type 3.
It’s a WF6F/S3 with a 40’ head of which only the front 15’ sink.Overall length 90’
In 2020 the MRSP was $99.99. Color - Brown/Yellow
Yellow is indicative of 200 grain for 6&7 weight rods

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Matt,
I think you’re looking for Rio’s sku 6-21134 In Touch Sink Tip 15 ft type 3.
It’s a WF6F/S3 with a 40’ head of which only the front 15’ sink.Overall length 90’
In 2020 the MRSP was $99.99. Color - Brown/Yellow
Yellow is indicative of 200 grain for 6&7 weight rods
Thanks, saw that too; close, but it is a type 6 sink rate that I seek. The grain weight is helpful though! Getting closer…
"type 6" is the sink rate.
The line should weigh ~ 180 grains in the first 30' regardless of whether it floats, sinks, or both.
Buy the six weight line.
I shall buy the six weight line for the six weight rods!

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I have the Cortland 10' type 6 integrated version of that line you're wondering about that I use on my 7wt (I use the 240gr on my 7wt). I think the taper on the 10' and 15' is the same, but don't quote me on that. It behaves just about as you would expect a shooting head to behave. It fishes very well depending on how you're planning on fishing it.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I stand corrected, the 10' sink tip has a 26' head and the 15' sinktip you're looking at has a 31' head (although, one can effectively carry the head plus the "handling line" that goes for 10' after the head on both).

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Airflo make some streamer lines that might be what you're looking for. SA as well.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I wonder if Steve Godshall could make a line for you based on the specs you are looking for?
Might be worth a call.
SF

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Airflo make some streamer lines that might be what you're looking for. SA as well.
I've definitely looked but didn't quite see what I want. Airflo's offerings for the USA are pretty limited these days, it seems. They have some lines with shorter sink tips integrated, like 5' and 10' tips. Scientific Anglers also has lots of offerings that are pretty darn close, including the Sonar Titan Sink Tip, which also has a 10' sink tip in 6 weight. SA also offers this custom cut job, which if I cut the sink tip back to 15' would leave me with a 254 grain head (and a spare 15' tip to put loops on), which seems a mite heavy. Pretty cool option, though.
I wonder if Steve Godshall could make a line for you based on the specs you are looking for?
Might be worth a call.
SF
Thanks, I am just going to order that Cortland line with a 15' Type 6 sink tip on it for 6 weight, and start there.

wmelton

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Airflo Streamer Max Short has a ~15 feet of a sink tip. 7ips tip with a intermediate buffer. I prefer a longer sinking tip, so I go with the streamer max long, but after a lot of experimenting with Rio/Cortland/SA I am a firm believer in the Airflo lineup. Airflo shovelhead for bulls