Pizza

flybill

Life of the Party
Anyone else using a pizza steel instead of the traditional stone? I used the stone for years but it takes forever to heat, is hard to clean and breakable. I much prefer the steel, what is your opinion?
I haven't, but mine is stained and I don't try to clean it, other than scrape off any crust that sticks. I throw it in an hour or two ahead of time, as the oven is heating up so haven't worried about it cracking.

I'll check out the pizza steel, but think I want a pizza oven.. the Ooni pizza oven. My friend at Sheridan Winery in Zillah have a few and they are fantastic!

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Very late to the party, but are you using sugar or honey to balance the acidity? I started using about 20-30 g of honey and it works well to balance the sauce's acidity.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Very late to the party, but are you using sugar or honey to balance the acidity? I started using about 20-30 g of honey and it works well to balance the sauce's acidity.
No, here’s my recipe.

1 can whole Bianco dinapoli whole tomatos (very specificly this brand, and whole, not crushed)
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp salt
2-4 minced garlix

Run the tomatos through a food mill and combine the rest.

The whole tomatos in their juices for me is key. Crushed tomatos get to thick when cooking.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Cool to see this thread. I picked up making pizza during COVID then eventually ventured into sourdough. It was a good hobby to do while working from home and something I could do in short bursts of free time between juggling the kids and life.

I wanted to build an oven very badly, but it just wasn't practical right now. I decided on a Fontana Forni oven.

Here's some pies from today. Not my best dough. Needed a bit longer in the fridge but I sometimes just squeeze in a batch whenever I can.

View attachment 92483

View attachment 92484

Also some fold overs to make sandwiches with later. Don't know what these are called, but seen them do it in Italian pizzerias online. Just put olive oil on one half and fold it over.

View attachment 92485

View attachment 92486

FYI, if ya'll aren't using Cairnspring Mills flour, you should be. It's beyond amazing and is also a local company and the owner fishes. It's pricey in small bags, but I order 50# bags and it ends up being like $2/lb shipped.
These look great!! Yeah I use Cairnspring flour. I buy 50lb 1109 and 50lb glacier peak and the 100lbs lasts me about a year, I love it and won’t go back.

For your fold over guy, is there sauce toppings? Do you just make the pizza, fold it up and put it in the fridge, looks interesting.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
No, here’s my recipe.

1 can whole Bianco dinapoli whole tomatos (very specificly this brand, and whole, not crushed)
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp salt
2-4 minced garlix

The whole tomatos in their juices for me is key. Crushed tomatos get to thick when cooking.
That sounds delicious and simple. I'll have to give that a try.

Mine is more of a production, so I make it in larger batches and can it (I know, I know):

6 fl oz homemade canned tomato paste
6 fl oz warm water
16 gr grated Parmesan cheese
20-40 gr honey depending on the tomatos
1/2 clove minced garlic
2 anchovy fillets (turned into paste)

To Taste:
onion powder
dried oregano
dried marjoram
dried basil
ground black pepper
cayenne pepper
dried red pepper flakes
salt

Reactions: Zak

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Would anyone have a basic recipe for a sauce that uses some acid for extra tanginess? Also, I have since incorporated fennel seeds into the pie as well, and finding that "balance" with that stuff was a bit tricky but I think I have it dialed for consistency. I am still not happy with my sauce.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Would anyone have a basic recipe for a sauce that uses some acid for extra tanginess? Also, I have since incorporated fennel seeds into the pie as well, and finding that "balance" with that stuff was a bit tricky but I think I have it dialed for consistency. I am still not happy with my sauce.
Have you tried not cooking/simmering the sauce?

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
23158.png
Just keep adding till you reach your desired taste.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Thank you I just ordered a bag of this. I really appreciate it. I will start my research and lookup ratio's. Now I have to go to bed and I am thinking about this shit!

Amazon product ASIN B0CCJWD2Z6
It's job is to make sour. You can use whatever recipe is your favorite then make it sour. A little goes a long ways, I would go 1/4 teaspoon at a time testing between. Citric acid is my secret ingredient for everything, it's great in drinks. I use it to make my guayake Yerba mate knockoff.

These look great!! Yeah I use Cairnspring flour. I buy 50lb 1109 and 50lb glacier peak and the 100lbs lasts me about a year, I love it and won’t go back.

For your fold over guy, is there sauce toppings? Do you just make the pizza, fold it up and put it in the fridge, looks interesting.
Nice! I usually do a 50-50 mix of those two. I have Sequoia right now, which is a bit richer and still delicious, but I liked the Glacier better.

No toppings. It's basically just a way to make a plain pizza as bread (otherwiseit will puff up). This was my first time doing this. I stretched it out just like a pizza but just pushed down the crust and didn't leave it thicker. I'll just keep it bagged on the counter and eat them in a few days. Unfold it and fill it with deli meat and cheese etc. Could probably also unfold it and top it like a pizza. Kind of like DiGorno lol. I've also tried forming a pizza with no toppings and poking holes in the center to keep it from puffing. It works okay but gets too crispy. Usually I just flatten out a few of the last balls and bake some very thick pita breads that are insanely good.

Reactions: Zak

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Nice! I usually do a 50-50 mix of those two. I have Sequoia right now, which is a bit richer and still delicious, but I liked the Glacier better.

No toppings. It's basically just a way to make a plain pizza as bread (otherwiseit will puff up). This was my first time doing this. I stretched it out just like a pizza but just pushed down the crust and didn't leave it thicker. I'll just keep it bagged on the counter and eat them in a few days. Unfold it and fill it with deli meat and cheese etc. Could probably also unfold it and top it like a pizza. Kind of like DiGorno lol. I've also tried forming a pizza with no toppings and poking holes in the center to keep it from puffing. It works okay but gets too crispy. Usually I just flatten out a few of the last balls and bake some very thick pita breads that are insanely good.
So interesting!

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
That sounds delicious and simple. I'll have to give that a try.

Mine is more of a production, so I make it in larger batches and can it (I know, I know):

6 fl oz homemade canned tomato paste
6 fl oz warm water
16 gr grated Parmesan cheese
20-40 gr honey depending on the tomatos
1/2 clove minced garlic
2 anchovy fillets (turned into paste)

To Taste:
onion powder
dried oregano
dried marjoram
dried basil
ground black pepper
cayenne pepper
dried red pepper flakes
salt

For me, my recipe is perfect. Mostly it leaves the sauce tasting like the best tomatos possible. Otherwise it starts to come into a red sauce variation.

Check out Bianco dinapoli tomatos. It’s the combination of a tomato grower and Chris Bianco, a pizza god in Phoenix, AZ (of all places). They’re super, super good and super consistent.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
For me, my recipe is perfect. Mostly it leaves the sauce tasting like the best tomatos possible. Otherwise it starts to come into a red sauce variation.

Check out Bianco dinapoli tomatos. It’s the combination of a tomato grower and Chris Bianco, a pizza god in Phoenix, AZ (of all places). They’re super, super good and super consistent.
Dunno if I'm into eating GMO products that splice the DNA of two different humans, but I'll check them out.

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
No, here’s my recipe.

2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp salt
2-4 minced garlix

What’s a food mill? Asking for a friend…

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
Made pizza for the first time today. It was pretty decent but I think I’m going to develop tendinitis from wrestling with the gluten in the dough. I tried to follow the direction of Martin from King Arthur for shaping the dough out. But I would get started with my dough ball, get it pushed out to about 7 inches in diameter and then it would start to retract into some non-circular shape. I would let it rest for several minutes and then was able to get back at it, but I ended up with two ovoid objects that were short of the 12 inch diameter I was shooting for. So how do you all stretch you dough. I did not bake them in a pan, but on parchment paper on the pizza stone.

flybill

Life of the Party
Made pizza for the first time today. It was pretty decent but I think I’m going to develop tendinitis from wrestling with the gluten in the dough. I tried to follow the direction of Martin from King Arthur for shaping the dough out. But I would get started with my dough ball, get it pushed out to about 7 inches in diameter and then it would start to retract into some non-circular shape. I would let it rest for several minutes and then was able to get back at it, but I ended up with two ovoid objects that were short of the 12 inch diameter I was shooting for. So how do you all stretch you dough. I did not bake them in a pan, but on parchment paper on the pizza stone.
I like to start it off on a pan, then after it crisps up a bit, put it directly on the pizza stone. I used to have a peel, and use cornmeal on the board to slide it onto the stone and it usually worked. As far as stretching it out, try and start earlier and just work it out slowly. Or spin it up in the air.. I actually haven't done that.. but that's how they do it at the pizza places..