Coffee talk

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
5D971C0E-4A35-4499-A2D2-CB1B3E6CF25D.jpeg
12A99940-031A-4512-800B-A61B43BC2B23.jpeg
BAE8F7A8-A81C-4210-92FB-2B780DA5F256.jpeg

Back to my tried and true method. It took about 20 mins with ambient temperatures in the 40s to roast a half pound of these beans, which I tried to take just through first crack to preserve the fruitiness. The results look a little inconsistent which isn’t unheard of with dry process beans, and I had to toss more quakers than typical, but I’m sure it’ll be delicious. https://library.sweetmarias.com/roasting-dry-processed-coffees/
Sometimes I look forward to going to sleep so I can wake up and drink coffee.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
View attachment 6033
View attachment 6034
View attachment 6035

Back to my tried and true method. It took about 20 mins with ambient temperatures in the 40s to roast a half pound of these beans, which I tried to take just through first crack to preserve the fruitiness. The results look a little inconsistent which isn’t unheard of with dry process beans, and I had to toss more quakers than typical, but I’m sure it’ll be delicious. https://library.sweetmarias.com/roasting-dry-processed-coffees/
Sometimes I look forward to going to sleep so I can wake up and drink coffee.
This cup is amazingly delicious! If these beans are still available to order, I highly recommend.

I love this thread. It has triumphed over some initial skepticism coming from surprising quarters (“Who cares that much about coffee?”) Three cheers to my brothers and sisters of the brown juice!

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
This cup is amazingly delicious! If these beans are still available to order, I highly recommend.

I love this thread. It has triumphed over some initial skepticism coming from surprising quarters (“Who cares that much about coffee?”) Three cheers to my brothers and sisters of the brown juice!
I come from a long line of coffee drinkers. Both my Mom and Dad's side drank coffee religiously. Growing up I don't think I ever saw an empty coffee pot when they were home.

My Dad's side was A LOT older. Big farm family. I don't know the history of coffee for the family. But have my Grandpa's coffee grinder and his last coffee pot. He never used an electric. Have used both, especially when power goes out.
20220220_074427.jpg
20220220_074433.jpg

I know the pot is an old Reverewear. The grinder probably has markings on the cast iron where it's mounted. Not going to dismantle it to find out.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I come from a long line of coffee drinkers. Both my Mom and Dad's side drank coffee religiously. Growing up I don't think I ever saw an empty coffee pot when they were home.

My Dad's side was A LOT older. Big farm family. I don't know the history of coffee for the family. But have my Grandpa's coffee grinder and his last coffee pot. He never used an electric. Have used both, especially when power goes out.
View attachment 6069
View attachment 6070

I know the pot is an old Reverewear. The grinder probably has markings on the cast iron where it's mounted. Not going to dismantle it to find out.
I remember dipping my toast in sweet milky Folgers drip brew that my parents let me drink as a kid. My mom would drink pots of that stuff all day.

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Same here. The big red Folgers can wan was always present. My parents would pour a little coffee in our milk (sugar too, probably) to let us be more "grown up". When we lived in Germany they and my grandparents would occasionally give us Malz Bier for the same reason. It was a little like root beer and sickeningly sweet, but sure looked like a real German dark beer.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Same here. The big red Folgers can wan was always present. My parents would pour a little coffee in our milk (sugar too, probably) to let us be more "grown up". When we lived in Germany they and my grandparents would occasionally give us Malz Bier for the same reason. It was a little like root beer and sickeningly sweet, but sure looked like a real German dark beer.
We had these cups and saucers (and plates, bowls, etc):

1645378002649.jpeg

BriGuy

Life of the Party
All my German relatives used cups and saucers that were the same shape, just a little bit more ornate. They weren't microwave safe, I'm sure.

BriGuy

Life of the Party
I think there are a few survivors at my mom's, too.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I laugh because I think I still have a set of these dishes from my parents up in the attic.
I still see them at thrift stores sometimes. They were remarkably strong for their thinness. And nearly ubiquitous.

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
@BriGuy and @Matt B those Pyrex dishes weren't of this earth. I don't want to know what they were made of. They were fantastic dinnerware. Ours was that mustard yellow flowers on it. I still have Pyrex bowls I still use to this day on my kitchen.

BriGuy

Life of the Party
We still use a full complement of the thin Correlle plates and bowls as our daily driver dishes. Besides being nearly unbreakable, they stack and load in the dishwasher easily.

We're not complete Heathans and use the good China too. :coffee::coffee::coffee:

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
We still use a full complement of the thin Correlle plates and bowls as our daily driver dishes. Besides being nearly unbreakable, they stack and load in the dishwasher easily.

We're not complete Heathans and use the good China too. :coffee::coffee::coffee:
Funny you mention fine China. I have a full set x4+ of it from my Dad. As a kid we used it as every day plates until they got those Pyrex ones. He was a mechanic for Standard Oil and was constantly picking up pieces during the late 50s/ early 60s when he worked there (his future father in law owned it and how he met my mother). I have a full set that I only bring out fit special occasions. Found out this is legitimate fine China and I have a mints worth that collectors would die for. I still have boxes of unboxed pieces.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Funny you mention fine China. I have a full set x4+ of it from my Dad. As a kid we used it as every day plates until they got those Pyrex ones. He was a mechanic for Standard Oil and was constantly picking up pieces during the late 50s/ early 60s when he worked there (his future father in law owned it and how he met my mother). I have a full set that I only bring out fit special occasions. Found out this is legitimate fine China and I have a mints worth that collectors would die for. I still have boxes of unboxed pieces.
Sell it and buy those gear rod replacements you want.

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Nice!

I doubt our's would technically qualify as "China" since it's Japanese and about 30 years old. We received it as a wedding gift thirty years ago.

We never use the real silverware, because if I'm going to clean, polish and detail something, it will be Mustang parts.

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
Nice!

I doubt our's would technically qualify as "China" since it's Japanese and about 30 years old. We received it as a wedding gift thirty years ago.

We never use the real silverware, because if I'm going to clean, polish and detail something, it will be Mustang parts.
I don't think I've really seen "fine China " from China. It's usually all Japanese. 😆

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
20220220_104304.jpg

This is on display in our hutch. Have a ton more underneath in the drawers.

I do have 2 full sets (both servings for 8) set aside for both of my kids. I think I have a total of 50+ servings. I remember as a kid that when a plate broke my parents never got angry. They just ran out to garage when supply of plates got low and restocked. I wonder how many they originally had. Between what my Dad collected and what my Grandparents gave them. They had sold the Standard Oil station about time they got married. I think all the left over China he took with him when he sold shop.

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
We're getting somewhere! Ambient temperature appears to be the achilles heel of these air poppers. I did change 2 things on this roast, both a different outlet as well as roasting in a box. I'm sure the box was what made the difference here. Having the roaster blow hot air down and around inside the box negated the ambient air temp well. 120g of beans again. Stirred by hand until about 4 minutes and it had lost enough moisture to rotate and turn over on its own. It was about 38 degrees out with a stiff breeze and this roast hit 1st crack at around 5 minutes, lasted until around 6.5-7 minutes. I held on for a while and hit 2nd crack for the 1st time with this machine at about 10 minutes. Pulled at that point. Overall much more pleased with this roast than my past tries.

IMG_20220221_170327.jpgIMG_20220221_165749.jpgIMG_20220221_170035.jpg

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
We're getting somewhere! Ambient temperature appears to be the achilles heel of these air poppers. I did change 2 things on this roast, both a different outlet as well as roasting in a box. I'm sure the box was what made the difference here. Having the roaster blow hot air down and around inside the box negated the ambient air temp well. 120g of beans again. Stirred by hand until about 4 minutes and it had lost enough moisture to rotate and turn over on its own. It was about 38 degrees out with a stiff breeze and this roast hit 1st crack at around 5 minutes, lasted until around 6.5-7 minutes. I held on for a while and hit 2nd crack for the 1st time with this machine at about 10 minutes. Pulled at that point. Overall much more pleased with this roast than my past tries.

View attachment 6258View attachment 6259View attachment 6260
Nice work! I roasted outside today with ambient temperature 43. I went 14 minutes and never heard a second crack. First crack was around 8 minutes.

Besides being cold, I wonder if ambient humidity is playing a role for you, assuming you’re on the west side of the state? It’s really dry here.

Last edited: