Strange, weird or odd or whatever beach finds thread….

Chonay

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Found this big ol lingcod sort of flopping on the beach at low tide. It was way up the beach about 150’ from water. Couldn’t get it back to the water it died shortly after we found it. Crabs are eating now I’m sure!

Attachments

• DCEFFD72-8F01-4193-9098-A5C929A0F284.jpeg
    DCEFFD72-8F01-4193-9098-A5C929A0F284.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 66

FerrousTortoise

Steelhead
@Divad it looked like some sort of porpoise. I would not be the one to properly identify it. There were no markings on it that I saw, other than scrapes on the belly, but that could just be rubbing on the beach as it floated ashore.

Chucker

Steelhead
I thought this was a seal. This guy was much smaller than I thought they would be.

It is indeed a harbor porpoise. You should report it to the strandings network, there is rather a lack of bio data on harbor porpoise, and some can be gathered from a freshly dead one.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
@Wanative unaware he is about to be attacked by the rare Puget Sound orange bell pepper.

IMG_4957.jpeg

31 days out. Why not? Looks clipped.
IMG_4958.jpeg
SF

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
What's more rare is I'm at a loss for words! 😱 I've got Nuthin!
I need help formulating a witty comeback.
Wait...how about this?
@Stonedfish who wears sunglasses in the dark before the buttcrack of dawn,
this morning when he realized he left without his sunglasses.🤣🤣🤣mole-topo.gif

Last edited:

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
@DimeBrite found this marine worm today.
Fly rod next to it for size reference. Looked about a foot long.
@Cabezon any idea what type of worm this is?
Thanks,
SF

View attachment 84230View attachment 84231
Hi SF,
I do not see any evidence for segmentation in your two pictures. That rules out Annelids (segmented worms: leaches, polychaetes (sea worms), or oligochaetes (earthworms). I think that it is a nemertean or ribbon worm (see here). Unlike nematodes (and annelids too) which have stiff bodies, those of the nemerteans are more flexible (and floppy). We have several local species. My best guess is that it might be Basiodiscus princeps. These are generally predators; some feed on polychaetes. And they appear to be chemically-defended against most possible predators.
Steve

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Hi SF,
I do not see any evidence for segmentation in your two pictures. That rules out Annelids (segmented worms: leaches, polychaetes (sea worms), or oligochaetes (earthworms). I think that it is a nemertean or ribbon worm (see here). Unlike nematodes (and annelids too) which have stiff bodies, those of the nemerteans are more flexible (and floppy). We have several local species. My best guess is that it might be Basiodiscus princeps. These are generally predators; some feed on polychaete. And they appear to be chemically-defended against most possible predators.
Steve

Steve,
As always, I very much appreciate your knowledge.
SF

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter