Bucktail

patrick1

Smolt
Where do you all buy the good stuff? Do you stick to what your fly shop carries or have you found some fancy instagram boutique fur?

Vandelay Industries

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I tend to stick to local fly shops so that I can examine the trail prior to buying.

I have had good luck with Spawn FlyFish too.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Look up Brad Bohen (proprietor of PrimoTail). He is a master at creating the best damn tails available. He sells his stuff to several musky fly shops in the Midwest.

I've heard outstanding things about Ellis Ward Flies, but I've never ordered from him, so I can't speak from personal experience.

I really don't fuck around with anything from the local shops as it's total crap compared to the above (no offense to those that do go that route)....cause once you go Primo, you don't go back...

Last edited:

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
It’s difficult to get good buck tail without looking at it. However- the primo tails are primo tails if you can get them

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
It’s difficult to get good buck tail without looking at it. However- the primo tails are primo tails if you can get them
That's just it, there's no locally sourced bucktail that you can really get your hands on. If I'm in dire need of a specific color, I'll pull them out of the bag at the fly shop if that's the route I end up having to go.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
That Ellis site has some cool shit. They are out of most of it. Funny I just read there was a haul of deer harvested this past hunting season. What gives??

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
That Ellis site has some cool shit. They are out of most of it. Funny I just read there was a haul of deer harvested this past hunting season. What gives??
Out here?

I do believe we have mostly blacktails/mule, correct? This good bucktail comes from whitetails.

Makes me wonder if there wouldn't be a good use for blacktail tails...fibers wouldn't be as long though.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Out here?

I do believe we have mostly blacktails/mule, correct? This good bucktail comes from whitetails.

Makes me wonder if there wouldn't be a good use for blacktail tails...fibers wouldn't be as long though.
I think nationally
I don’t know much about deer

candr

Steelhead
If I was exclusively looking for tails with 5+ inch long hair and had a reliable source I wouldn't share that on the internet. Having said that, I've had decent luck w the Natures Spirit/Hareline stuff if I can get it at a shop and sort through a bunch of tails. I wouldn't recommend buying those brands online - too much variability in what I've been sent. I find use for all types of bucktail so I buy the raw tails in bulk quantities on ebay, from fur dealers etc. I get some amazing long stuff and some great shorter stuff. Sorting, cleaning and dyeing bucktail is relatively easy. Did not have a great experience w the primo stuff from brad/musky fool. I may have had overly high expectations for a 17 dollar tail. May try them again at some point.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
So, where'd you get your 5" ones....j/k....

They've always been out of those 17 dollar ones. I've never been disappointed with either A or AA.

Are people going to start getting pissed when people start hotspotting fly tying material sources? :LOL: Regarding hotspotting....that's like hotspotting lake Merwin where I fish for tigers....I'm not terribly worried (yes, I've told people what rock to stand on).

I'm glad there are a few proprietors of quality bucktail. I'd like to see them remain in business as well.

Last edited:

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Where do you all buy the good stuff? Do you stick to what your fly shop carries or have you found some fancy instagram boutique fur?

My solution isn't perfect but I'm a tail man myself and ask my local shop to call me when it arrives and he lets me take my pick of the litter before it goes on display. Primo tail is nice too but I've not made the leap. And yes I may regret posting this as I might be educating my competition. But alas, I'll now be bribing my local purveyor of prime tail with booze to keep at the front of the line.

When I dug out my fly tying stuff after 25 years I never did find my container of bucktail. I have just tied flies with the materials I have on hand while I rebuild my skills. Guess it’s time to search for some bucktail.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Buck tail tying is a lot of fun. I can only dream of tying like Bob Popovic
That dude has amazing skills

There's a serious shortage of bucktails at the moment. Wapsi, which are mostly crap, have little in their large tails, which are maybe only 12 inches. All I've been getting at the shop are mostly mediums. I wouldn't hesitate buying anything at your local shop that's good quality right now.