Confused about SAE connector pos/neg wires...

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
So, I'm looking to add some quick connectors to my trolling motors (2 Minn Kotas, 30lb and 50lb), LiTime 50ah lifepo4 battery, and NOCO Genius 10 charger. SAE connectors seemed to be the best option as NOCO makes a nice little SAE adapter for their proprietary charger quick connect.

However, I don't understand how you do the positive and negative terminals and keep things straight. Take this set of two SAE adapters:

Amazon product ASIN B08Z86MCV5
They both have the positive wire on the male side and the negative on the female. But that means when you plug them in together, then you're switching them around. So if you installed one normally on the battery, you'd have to install the one on the trolling motor backwards (red SAE to black trolling motor wire, etc)? The photo in that product listing even shows them being backwards:

Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 10.55.29 AM.png
This makes no sense at all to me. Are there other "male plug has negative wire" SAE adapters out there? Or does everyone just have non matching wires around?

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I saw this and went to check mine.

Battery on left, motor on right. Look like they stay red to red

IMG_0299.jpeg

For the charger, it looks like the exposed goes to red as well.

IMG_0297.jpeg

I think the picture in your listing is wrong. Here's what I bought
Amazon product ASIN B00MYTF2NU

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I would always wire the hot leg of the supply side to the female side. That way when the lead is flopping around, there is no exposed positive terminal. Same reason why the outlets in your house are female.
That's a really good idea!

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I would always wire the hot leg of the supply side to the female side. That way when the lead is flopping around, there is no exposed positive terminal. Same reason why the outlets in your house are female.
Although that leaves me a bit confused about this image (the NOCO adapter):

1691176289289.png

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Duplicate/Deleted

Last edited:

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I believe reading the reviews that they are horribly selling two of the exact same product but showing them as if you had a set...
Typical random amazon products BS.

I think I'm just going to buy two sets of the Attwood connectors that @PhilR posted. I'll end up with one extra battery side one, but whatever. Perhaps I'll put it on my old lead acid battery for possible use somewhere.

I did chat with the NOCO support team and they confirmed that the Attwood layout would be correct for their adapter/charger setup.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have the solar on the Casa outfitted with those connectors and manufacturers are well aware of the issue. There is a polarity reverser that often comes with the connectors, it looks exactly like what is already molded on the end of the wire so you simply plug it in to one end and the polarity is corrected. Check it with a meter. In fact, check everything with a meter! Once you have established the correct polarity simply tape the reversing device on with black electrical tape so there won't ever be a mistake.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Might want to check the specs on your motor. Your link was for 10 or 14 gauge whips. The 10 might work for the 30# motor.
Yeah, I'd been looking at that page earlier.

The run I need is... maybe 6". So given the length/gauge combos there, I think the 10 gauge will work fine for both the 30lb and the 50lb. That said, I could make the effort to find something in an 8 if I wanted to be sure.

Chad D.

Smolt
I’ve started to move toward Anderson connectors instead of the SAE style. If you’re not familiar with these, you’ve probably seen big ones on electric forklift chargers.

Battery Connector 30A Quick Connect Battery Modular Power Connectors Quick Disconnect (10) https://a.co/d/auHSBHf

They’re typically built a little better than the SAE ones.

They make many sizes, and you can get multi-packs on Amazon for not a lot of dough. 15-30 amp sizes are about the same size as those SAE.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I’ve started to move toward Anderson connectors instead of the SAE style.
I thought about using those as I've heard they are tougher. But NOCO doesn't make an adapter for those for its chargers and I'm hoping to make it one integrated setup. So I'll probably just go with the SAE for now.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
Yeah, I'd been looking at that page earlier.

The run I need is... maybe 6". So given the length/gauge combos there, I think the 10 gauge will work fine for both the 30lb and the 50lb. That said, I could make the effort to find something in an 8 if I wanted to be sure.
Go with the 8 gauge for the 50# motor.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Typical random amazon products BS.

I think I'm just going to buy two sets of the Attwood connectors that @PhilR posted. I'll end up with one extra battery side one, but whatever. Perhaps I'll put it on my old lead acid battery for possible use somewhere.

I did chat with the NOCO support team and they confirmed that the Attwood layout would be correct for their adapter/charger setup.
Josh, I would have asked them about the illustration, too. My noco genius wiring all lines up red to red, black to black for the battery here on the camper.

Wait. Take another look. That adapter in the middle is both a fuze holder and a 2 wire tap. Good chance the wires cross over inside the adapter to accommodate the internal circuitry.