This Ain't Good...As A Matter Of Fact, Damn Sad!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
All this stuff ought to be saved for the winter shack-nasties.

Scottybs

Head Master Flyfisher In Charge
Forum Supporter
Bullying was checked? Right, unless you happened to be the gay kid, the foreign kid, the fat kid, the kid with glasses, the kid who studied too much, the kid with autism, the kid who preferred to play D&D over football, the kid who joined ROTC, the kid whose parents could only afford Kmart brand shoes, the kid who was too sensitive, the kid who had any sort of physical handicap etc etc etc.
I think you’re missing my point… we’ve removed the ability of our children to defend themselves and kick the bully’s ass. I whole heartedly agree with you on the picked on groups listed above, only the education system has made it worse. Young boys don’t learn how to handle conflict and some will be desensitized to violence and search out a firearm. Wolves, sheep, and sheep dogs… which are you?

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
There are lots of good people everywhere however:
Our family recently spent a few days in Victoria BC and difference in how people act there and here is huge. Among other things I noticed:
-Strangers help each other, from car breakdown assistance to holding doors, to saying please and thank you.
-drivers let others change easily lanes and are generally considerate of each other.
- you can cross the street as a pedestrian safely because drivers respect walkers.
- people don’t seem to be in a big hurry all the time.

All in all it reminded me of rural Minnesota not Washington. Or any other place where people slow down and love their neighbor.

There are big problems with polite behavior in this country and our state is not a shining light of nice. The Seattle area is bad and the Tri-Cities where we live is about the same.

This can only be repaired by each of us being aware of how our actions affect others. There are pay it forward effects of most small random acts of kindness (proper normal human interaction) and by appreciation when others are kind.
Well said Rich.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I think you’re missing my point… we’ve removed the ability of our children to defend themselves and kick the bully’s ass. I whole heartedly agree with you on the picked on groups listed above, only the education system has made it worse. Young boys don’t learn how to handle conflict and some will be desensitized to violence and search out a firearm. Wolves, sheep, and sheep dogs… which are you?

Having the ability to defend oneself physically against a bully or aggressor is one thing, but having the self restraint and mind power to choose not to does not make one a sheep. There's more than one way to stand up for yourself, it doesn't need to require kicking a bully's ass.

Society has changed, whether we like it or not. Using fists to solve problems and vent anger and frustration just isn't the way things are done anymore. Instead I think those same kids would be far better served by teaching them how to communicate, express their feelings openly without being labeled as a sheep, and provide them with access to mental health services. We've tried the "Don't take any shit and punch that bully in the mouth" program for a long time and it hasn't gotten us too far. Maybe it's time we change things up and focus on different methods.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
We've tried the "Don't take any shit and punch that bully in the mouth" program for a long time and it hasn't gotten us too far. Maybe it's time we change things up and focus on different methods.

I'd argue it's been a few decades since we tried that method and in fact it got us a very long way.. it's the mental health talking out your feelings that we've been trying for 40ish years and that is what's failing us.
Time to refocus on what worked, you confront evil and eradicate it's influence on your life.

That's the problem I had with the Harry Potter books and movie, which I still like very much. The concept that you stun people who are trying to kill you, that's just wrong.
Don't fight, but when you have to fight fire with fire. Maybe that's a poor example but that to say there is absolutely never anything wrong with defending with violence yourself your family or your property. Teaching kids and adults that it's someone else's responsibility ie. Teachers, cops, firemen are coming to rescue you is stupid, dangerous and breeds an extremely weak society. The society we have today.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I'd argue it's been a few decades since we tried that method and in fact it got us a very long way.. it's the mental health talking out your feelings that we've been trying for 40ish years and that is what's failing us.
Time to refocus on what worked, you confront evil and eradicate it's influence on your life.

That's the problem I had with the Harry Potter books and movie, which I still like very much. The concept that you stun people who are trying to kill you, that's just wrong.
Don't fight, but when you have to fight fire with fire. Maybe that's a poor example but that to say there is absolutely never anything wrong with defending with violence yourself your family or your property. Teaching kids and adults that it's someone else's responsibility ie. Teachers, cops, firemen are coming to rescue you is stupid, dangerous and breeds an extremely weak society. The society we have today.

That's pretty easy to say when you are someone physically capable of doing so.

Bullies don't make it a habit to pick on the big and the strong. They target those smaller and weaker. That's kinda the way bullying works. Pick out the weakest of the bunch, the one most likely to cause you no harm, and focus your energy on them. Telling the 110 lb freshman that they are a sheep if they don't stand up to the 240 lb senior who is bullying them and to simply eradicate their influence is pretty ridiculous. Not sure why this is a difficult concept to understand.

And to say we have tried focusing on the mental health side of things for the last 40 years is just absurd.

Last edited:

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed

Bullies don't make it a habit to pick on the big and the strong. They target those smaller and weaker. That's kinda the way bullying works. Pick out the weakest of the bunch, the one most likely to cause you no harm, and focus your energy on them. Telling the 110 lb freshman that they are a sheep if they don't stand up to the 240 lb senior who is bullying them and to simply eradicate their influence is pretty ridiculous. Not sure why this is a difficult concept to understand.

And to say we have tried focusing on the mental health side of things for the last 40 years is just absurd.
This is why you fight dirty.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Like, with knives and guns?
Not in the context of of children and school.

I was the weakest..

I was the weakest. I know full well what I am talking about. I avoided fights and just endured. Highschool was absolutely the worst time of my life. I almost didn't survive it.. do I wish I had learned to fight and defended myself ? Hell yes.
your last sentence is just wrong.
Fact about humanity, people are basically evil and choose to do wrong. Some people's evil needs to be dealt with. Government is extremely poor at that, including school administrators.

Status
Not open for further replies.