SFR Yeti skillet

Sorta fishing-related

Griswald

Steelhead
What the actual f…k
Is there really someone that stupid that would buy this?

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Jokes aside, the Yeti skillet is made by Butter Pat Industries which is a pretty well regarded high end cast iron manufacturer.

The fact that they make their cast iron smooth instead of rough with casting/machine marks like Lodge and others says something. That takes a lot more work and effort to do. Now, is it worth $375 more (or $320 more if you buy the non-yeti branded butter pat 12") than a Lodge? I doubt it. Though I will say that the rough bottoms of the lodge pans are kind of a PITA after you've cooked on a smooth bottom cast iron. Particularly one that is heavier duty. We've got a couple hand me downs from my wife's great grandmother as well as having been given a couple FINEX pans ($120 for a 12") and they are much nicer to cook on than our lodge pans.

But Lodge pans get things done just fine. As I say, we have more than a few.

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
It does look like a nice pan but not worth $400 IMO. I definitely don’t like how they blatantly ripped off the unique handle design of the original Wapak Indian head logo pans from the early 1900s though. Total bullshit. And I don’t trash talk hipster “culture” too often since it’s way over done and misguided a lot of the time these days and but this kind of shit makes me mad 😁 At least pay homage in the description to the inspiration from the original designs of old manufactures. Yeah I’m a cast iron dork so I feel justified on hating this.

Yeti pan
1686705496379.jpeg
Wapak “Indian head” logo pan circa 1903-1926
IMG_1082.jpeg

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
Conspicuous consumption is exemplified by purchasing goods exclusively designed to serve as symbols of wealth, like luxury-brand labels on clothing, high-tech tools and toys, and vehicles.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Conspicuous consumption is exemplified by purchasing goods exclusively designed to serve as symbols of wealth, like luxury-brand labels on clothing, high-tech tools and toys, and vehicles.
For the record, I agree with you.

But also for the record, I think one could create an equally true statement along the lines of:

A disposable society is exemplified by purchasing cheaply made (typically in low wage countries), low quality goods exclusively designed to not last for more than a few years, such as clothing, electronics, and housewares.
Like most things in life, I suspect the answer is somewhere in the middle.

While nobody needs a $400 Yeti pan. I think there is some space we need to leave for the idea that well crafted (or responsibly made or ethically grown etc) things are going to cost more and that they are worth that money, regardless of what label is or isn't on them. Nobody needs a Hardy reel or an Orvis bamboo rod. What they cost over something from Aliexpress isn't going to catch you any more fish. But anyone who buys one knows they have something of quality and will likely be able to pass it down to their grandkids. You can't say that about the Aliexpress reel or cheap ass Target kitchen knives or harbor freight tools.

Oddly enough, cheap cast iron pans MIGHT be one of the few exceptions to this. Lodge pans are still made in the USA and, while maybe not the absolute nicest cast iron pans to cook on, will probably be around to hand down to your grandkids if you want.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This could be fishing related if you cook your fish in the skillet. That's a nod to OMJ.

12" dbl pour skillet. Hand cast.
$400.00
Out of stock.

.....god save the queen.

This just in. Filson is branding the same skillet for $1000. It's still the same skillet but this one says "Filson" on it and it matches perfectly with their Coleman, er I mean Filson rebranded camp stove that goes to eleven for another grand.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
I like my Lodge pans, my generational Griswold, and my Iwata cast iron. In addition I love my yeti drinkware and coolers. I've polished a 14" inch Lodge, and it was a pain in the ass. I am unsure why you all get your panties in a bunch over shit like this. The question I have is " what price would you attach to a family heirloom?". I know that my great grandparents scrimped and saved for the Griswold's I have, and if the yeti/pat butters are of similar quality, I'm all in. I've got burkheimer, saraciones, and meisers that I've paid a lot more for, and will use a lot less than than I would use a $400 cast iron pan. For me it's not status, it's that I like nice shit. I went for years without it, and now that I can afford it.......

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Good to see no one owns any Sage, Winston, Burkheimer or Simms. Like with a good many products those who can't afford them denigrate those who can. I have found every Yeti product I own to be a purchase cherished and not regretted. You have helped convinced me that I may need one of these.

Last edited:

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have two cast iron skillets that I use for camping. One is an 8 inch that my grandfather gave my parents for their wedding anniversary. Smooth finish and very well seasoned. I use it all the time. The second is a 10 inch that also has a smooth finish and is well seasoned. My dad used it on the campfire to cook brook trout that we kept for dinner. I continue that tradition. The only Yeti products that I am willing to spend my money on are coffee cups and water bottles. Not willing to buy their coolers and certainly not a $400 skillet.

Divad

Whitefish
A Dremel, palm sander, and an hour? Try a 5" grinder, a flap disc, and a couple of hours.
Lol as a fabricator in my off-hours, I wouldn’t bring a 5” flap to a knife fight. Dremel flaps are more than adequate, but to be honest the mouse sanders take the cake.

Done a couple pans now and doesn’t take long at all.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Done a couple pans now and doesn’t take long at all.
Really? Well now I'm confused by this dueling advice.

I have a very small Lodge skillet that is more of a wall decoration than anything. Perhaps I'll use it as a test subject.