NFR Has anyone heard from Old Man Jim? Update: RIP OMJ. Give ‘em hell wherever you are!

Non-fishing related

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Only thing I'll add to my already briefly wrote is that I'm pretty sure OMJ was not a fan of mine....I never really got it out of him why. But I was always a fan of his. I hope he's on a skinny blue line somewhere with a big-ass smile on his face!

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Old Man was the one who nominated me for the Back Room....because I "wasn't too full of shit". A high compliment that I was full of shit to just the right level.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Only thing I'll add to my already briefly wrote is that I'm pretty sure OMJ was not a fan of mine....I never really got it out of him why. But I was always a fan of his. I hope he's on a skinny blue line somewhere with a big-ass smile on his face!
I don't think he liked the younger crowd that much. I tried to be nice to him once and got ignored, that's my brief experience. To each their own.

Snowspey

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
Maybe this has come up, but if he were my family, I’d cherish these comments and stories. Great way to keep his memory alive. Hope they get to them somehow. I always appreciated his post and presence. His banter was as good as it gets.

Jim in Anacortes

Life of the Party
I tend to think that Old Man Jim enjoyed his maps. Personally I have spent a great deal of time looking at, and following maps. Maps of all kinds, such as the Gazetteer, ranger maps, Thomas Guide, topo maps, historical maps etc... Of course todays technology is far superior in many ways, however the value of a paper map is exemplified by the vast knowledge that Old Man Jim acquired over the years. Undoubtedly he pondered over those maps at home, using a pencil to circle points of interest. And out in the field, those same maps were likely folded away but frequently spread out over a rock or the hood of his car. The simple joy of exploring "thin blue lines" with nothing but a map, a compass, and an odometer, is something worth experiencing. I am certain that he had lots of fun with those maps.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I tend to think that Old Man Jim enjoyed his maps. Personally I have spent a great deal of time looking at, and following maps. Maps of all kinds, such as the Gazetteer, ranger maps, Thomas Guide, topo maps, historical maps etc... Of course todays technology is far superior in many ways, however the value of a paper map is exemplified by the vast knowledge that Old Man Jim acquired over the years. Undoubtedly he pondered over those maps at home, using a pencil to circle points of interest. And out in the field, those same maps were likely folded away but frequently spread out over a rock or the hood of his car. The simple joy of exploring "thin blue lines" with nothing but a map, a compass, and an odometer, is something worth experiencing. I am certain that he had lots of fun with those maps.
He posted many times about his Nat Geo CD maps!

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Still wrapping my head around this loss.
Old man Jim was a gem. Literally.

He reminds me of a true treasured gemstone ...a rough tumbled river agate that finally made it to the sea. Naturally polished after spending year after year..and decades multiple, sitting on gravel bars, in spawning redds, being part of the big show. He was the true bedrock to those little blue lines he loved.

He'd become that perfect agate that is in no need to be opened up, or polished in a tumbler. Perfect in a way any veteran of a long existence on Earth becomes. Authentic. Genuine. He was strongly both.

The older I get I often stop myself from picking up some beach agates. I leave some be to become fragmented as sand, or I leave creek agates be to let them have their long journey ahead of them continue.

Going to dig into my trove of river agates and toss one back in the river today. (ok, not this one.. haha)

agategg.jpg

(thinking, because of his wonderful sense of humor...I bet he might prefer, say, a piece of old petrified wood, actually!)

Condolences to his family. Thank you for sharing him.

Last edited:

Xoxo

I thoroughly enjoyed OMJ's intolerance for Swimmy.
Me too! They were the antithesis of each other and provided a lot of fun content. It would have been so fun to have video footage of Swimmy taking Old Man out fishing. I wonder if Swimmy knows about Old Man’s passing. I think he would want to know.