What's in your vise?

Muddled Burkinshaw Bumble

55552345206_d04b85999d_c.jpg


55552504554_0c9055580d_c.jpg


55552504564_6c4778e7d4_c.jpg


Loosely based on Scott Jackson’s wet fly.

hook - WFC Model 21 #10
thread - SemperFli Nanosilk 50d orange
tail - yarn sunburst
rib - small wire golden olive
underbody - Ice Dub olive
hackle - ginger
shoulder - pheasant body feather
collar/head - deer hair

Regards,
Scott
 
Club Sandwich October Caddis

55554396885_a10a94092d_c.jpg


55554396875_de8c8b15f7_c.jpg


55554109233_7dc2b60aa7_c.jpg


I’ll ditch the fire orange thread on the next one for something more subdued, although if it gets rejected because of the thread, I’m fishing the wrong river to begin with.

hook - WFC Model 16 #8
thread - Uni 6/0 fire orange
core - 20lb mono
rib - tying thread
body - 1mm foam cinnamon/2mm foam orange
wing - Congo Hair shiner tan
legs - medium rubber brown
indicator - 1mm foam orange

Regards,
Scott
 
Eurasian-Jay-Flies-Bergman.jpg



Jay Silver

Hook - Standard wet fly
Thread - White under tinsel body, Black head
Tail - Golden pheasant tippet
Ribbing - Oval silver tinsel (if desired)
Body - Silver tinsel
Hackle - Ginger
Wing - Eurasian blue jay

Jay Yellow

Hook - Standard wet fly
Thread - White under floss body, Black head
Tail - Yellow hackle fibers
Body - Yellow floss
Hackle - Yellow
Wing - Eurasian blue jay

Jay Blue

Hook - Standard wet fly
Thread - White under floss body, Black head
Tail - Light blue hackle fibers
Ribbing - Gold tinsel
Body - Light blue floss
Hackle - Light blue
Wing - Eurasian blue jay

Blue Jay

Hook - Standard wet fly
Thread - White under floss body, Black head
Tag - Gold tinsel
Tail - Golden pheasant tippet
Ribbing - Gold tinsel
Body - Orange floss
Hackle - Orange
Wing - Eurasian blue jay

Trout - Ray Bergman

Eurasian Jay is legal to possess in USA. Blue Jay (American) is not
 
Eurasian-Jay-Flies-Bergman.jpg



Jay Silver

Hook - Standard wet fly
Thread - White under tinsel body, Black head
Tail - Golden pheasant tippet
Ribbing - Oval silver tinsel (if desired)
Body - Silver tinsel
Hackle - Ginger
Wing - Eurasian blue jay

Jay Yellow

Hook - Standard wet fly
Thread - White under floss body, Black head
Tail - Yellow hackle fibers
Body - Yellow floss
Hackle - Yellow
Wing - Eurasian blue jay

Jay Blue

Hook - Standard wet fly
Thread - White under floss body, Black head
Tail - Light blue hackle fibers
Ribbing - Gold tinsel
Body - Light blue floss
Hackle - Light blue
Wing - Eurasian blue jay

Blue Jay

Hook - Standard wet fly
Thread - White under floss body, Black head
Tag - Gold tinsel
Tail - Golden pheasant tippet
Ribbing - Gold tinsel
Body - Orange floss
Hackle - Orange
Wing - Eurasian blue jay

Trout - Ray Bergman

Eurasian Jay is legal to possess in USA. Blue Jay (American) is not
Wonderful!
 
Size 8 FullingMill Bonio carp hooks, medium bead chain eyes, pine squirrel zonker (crawfish orange) tail, copper flashabou, FTD Krap "Brownish" dubbing. For "redundancy" I added a Firehole 3 mm "Almond Joy" tungsten bead to the left fly.

IMG_8285.jpeg

Lookin' at the weather forecast for Friday and on: carpin' weather. I broke off a fly yesterday with 0X tippet and didn't have any 0X in my boat pack so I was a bit softer on the fish with 1X. The leader is back to 0X with some spare tippet in the boat pack.
 
Size 8 FullingMill Bonio carp hooks, medium bead chain eyes, pine squirrel zonker (crawfish orange) tail, copper flashabou, FTD Krap "Brownish" dubbing. For "redundancy" I added a Firehole 3 mm "Almond Joy" tungsten bead to the left fly.

View attachment 193553

Lookin' at the weather forecast for Friday and on: carpin' weather. I broke off a fly yesterday with 0X tippet and didn't have any 0X in my boat pack so I was a bit softer on the fish with 1X. The leader is back to 0X with some spare tippet in the boat pack.
I just started using those Bonio hooks for some of my patterns this year. love them. I also love how buggy that KRAP dubbing is!
 
Left to right: winter steelhead stripper (I'm not a huge fan of that particular jig hook for stripping presentations, so we'll see--Ahrex FW jig hook--great nymph hook though), then the middle and right are basically my go-to colors and style for anywhere that rainbows reside (Umpqua X-500). I simply have far better success with the smaller 2-3" stuff than the larger more jerk bait style that I love fishing for smallies and tigers with.
PXL_20260930_024322942.MP~2.jpg

Basically my super simple "tool" fly for euro nymphing (or any nymphing) that works. Actually works far better than my previous iterations of it. It's really just a simplified walt's worm with a light metallic pink tungsten bead on it.
PXL_20260930_024341051.MP~2.jpg


🍻
 
I just started using those Bonio hooks for some of my patterns this year. love them. I also love how buggy that KRAP dubbing is!
Thanks to @skyriver and another buddy for the Bonio hook recommendation, I think they're great hooks. Once again I find myself looking at ties in the carp box and shrugging as I toss 'em in file-13. It's one thing to break a fish off with tippet or knot failure but it really pisses me off to have a hook break (that's on the hook manufacturer) or using a hook that's too light and the hook opens up (that's on me).
 
Thanks to @skyriver and another buddy for the Bonio hook recommendation, I think they're great hooks. Once again I find myself looking at ties in the carp box and shrugging as I toss 'em in file-13. It's one thing to break a fish off with tippet or knot failure but it really pisses me off to have a hook break (that's on the hook manufacturer) or using a hook that's too light and the hook opens up (that's on me).
yep, totally agree. The other hook I swear by are the Gami egg hooks (C14S). I mostly fish size 6-8, but have gone to 10 for smaller stuff. Right now, those are the only two I'll use.
 
Size 8 FullingMill Bonio carp hooks, medium bead chain eyes, pine squirrel zonker (crawfish orange) tail, copper flashabou, FTD Krap "Brownish" dubbing. For "redundancy" I added a Firehole 3 mm "Almond Joy" tungsten bead to the left fly.

View attachment 193553

Lookin' at the weather forecast for Friday and on: carpin' weather. I broke off a fly yesterday with 0X tippet and didn't have any 0X in my boat pack so I was a bit softer on the fish with 1X. The leader is back to 0X with some spare tippet in the boat pack.
Man, those are SO buggy. Nice work. I always say "I should fish brown" when carpin and then I don't. Seems I stick to the peacock/black peacock of a hybrid, green of a damsel or black of a Carp Maul. Maybe next year! Good luck carpin! I'm taking my cousin for a float on the Yak on Saturday or I would seriously think about driving up your way.
 
Carnage Chris Craft October Caddis II

55561092405_ed4c4c27df_c.jpg


55560698751_7aa8fd51b7_c.jpg


55559672597_a955caff91_c.jpg


55561092400_0529ca3521_c.jpg


A few minor changes to the one I posted last year; heavier hook and thicker core.

hook - WFC Model 16 #8
thread - Uni 6/0 rusty brown
core - 20lb mono
underbody - moose mane
body - 1mm foam orange/furniture marker cherry
thorax - UV-X ET dubbing cinnamon
head/feelers - 2mm foam tan
wing - deer hair

Regards,
Scott
 
Back
Top