What the heck did I catch?

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
The lake I was fishing is located in Grant County. It's a warm water managed lake. No trout stocking of any kind. The lake has two irrigation waterfalls feeding it with a 40 foot drop per lidar. The water comes from Royal Lake and Potholes up to Billy Clapp and Banks eventually. On the drainage end is an earth dam with a drain and it feeds a small creek that drains into crab creek and eventually 17 miles down stream is the Columbia. Took a big jig off the type 5 in about 25 feet of water:

20261006_103523.jpg

20261006_103504.jpg

20261006_103437.jpg

I've heard kokanee verses sockeye verses steelhead smolt verses coho verses chinook jack...

debate😀
 
Last edited:
"Took a big jig off the type 5 in about 25 feet of water:"

dude, this is a fly fishing site....
 
Chinook jack, spotting on back, on both lobes of tail are telling, did you look at the mouth inside?
 
Some of these lakes and waterways are known to connect underneath. You never know how widespread these underground lake connections are. There is a school of thought that the Columbia River connects to the lakes of the mid Utah area. So the fish go back and forth!!!!!!! I BELIEVE IT IS TRUE!!!! I believe it is true. You never know!!! These fish are connected via the waterway tunnels under the land!!!!
 
Even with being outvoted, I still think kokanee. I catch a LOT of chinook jacks, and this one looks nothing like them. Especially the body shape and head. Only anomaly is the spotting.

Kokanee:
1791373367174.png


Chinook:
1791373381820.png


Billy's fish is the top one, but with spotting.


Which leads us to only one other possibility: ATLANTIC SALMON
 
Last edited:
Back
Top