I posted a while back about removing my boat's engine because it had developed an oil leak. The leak wasn't anything bad as far as the engine was concerned, only a drip or two an hour, but it was enough to make the harbor look like a rainbow.
The mechanic who was going to help got hurt so I ended up doing the work myself. As usual with things with me, the schedule went out the window.
So the boat sat all sad and lonesome at the dock next to the crane the entire winter waiting patiently to get lined back over to the crane to receive the engine after it was finally repaired.
When I finally got things finished and the engine back sitting in the boat, but not yet dropped into the engine compartment, I decided that I really ought to paint the bilge/engine compartment. After all, I wouldn't have the opportunity (fingers still crossed) to do this work after the engine is back in place.
I of course should have waited to bring the engine aboard. Its presence now made my (expanded) project more awkward and more difficult. Fortunately I had a helper with much better flexibility, not to mention his reduced size, increased speed, better knees, etc. to help with the prep work.
The engine compartment looked good after three coats of bilgekote.
The installation and alignment went well. I didn't have any problems, didn't break or lose anything and additional expenditures were fairly minimal. The engine always ran well but the new motor mounts really have made things smoother and there's no oil dripping in the bilge.
The failed parts which necessitated the project were a rubber-coated sealing washer and an aluminum locking washer. These washers sealed the fitting where the oil extraction hose is attached to the bottom of the oil pan. Only about $15 total, plus $10 for shipping and some tax. A fairly minor expenditure as boats go.
But of course the part are inaccessible for service while the engine is installed, so then the extras
New motor mounts (4): $360
New Damper plate: $500
Machine shop/welding: $930
Paint, solvent, supplies: $200
Gaskets, fasteners, wire. $150
Crane rental (2). ... $30
So about $2,170 total for something that $25 in failed parts which instigated the project. An almost two orders of magnitude in additional costs.
I'm glad the project turned out well and is behind me. I can now get to all the projects that were delayed, i.e., new halyards, replace anodes, repair aft cabin sole and mizzen mast step. Plus take the things that just occured like the the light in the head.
Some projects are big. Most are small. Many are something completely new to figure out. The only certainty is there's never an absence of them. And then there's the house.