The Bufflehead are back

the_grube

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I like to sit for about .5hr in the morning, stare at the river and do what comes pretty easy for me; empty my mind of anything meaningful or useful to me or anyone else (doesn't take very long, not a long list of things that need to be evacuated). Anyhoo, I've been watching a small flock of about 10 waterfowl. They hang out on the far bank and with my eyes it's hard to ID them from that distance. Took the binos down with me this morning and made positive ID. This is as early as I recall them coming down; but I have a propensity for dis-remembering (I probably emptied out that info. long ago).

They seem a bit disoriented, kind of swimming around and bumping into each other like they just got out of a clown car. Temps have been running around 80deg until yesterday. The river is still at August levels. Temps are dropping, but no rain in the near term forecast. I suspect they'll settle in when fall arrives for real. Kudos to the 'Bufflehead soldiers'; the vanguard of fall on the North Umpqua

1791644287239.png
 
Buffleheads are one of my favorites to watch. If I remember correctly they are the smallest North American duck and were written about by Lewis and Clark on the first expedition to the west.
They named them buffleheads because the head of these ducks resemble that of......you guessed it. Dave
 
What an idyllic scene.

Buffleheads are also the only diving duck that can spring into flight off the water like a puddle duck.
 
Back
Top