Stillwater Recommendations near Leavenworth?

Peach

Stillwater Fanatic
In the third week of September, I will be in Leavenworth for a hiking and fishing trip with my daughter and her fiancée and trying some German cuisine of coarse :). We already have a day tripped to hike around 6 miles into an Alpine Lake that I have fished before, but I am going to be there a day earlier and would like to hit some Stillwaters with in a hour or so of Leavenworth. I want to save my legs for our planned big hike, but wouldn't mind spending the day going to a drive up or <1 mile hike stillwater. I will have my FatCat and Ultralite float tube with me.

I did do some research and this is what the internet is telling me are my best options:

Fish Lake (Drive Up) - Browns and Rainbows available.
Evans Lake (<1 mile hike) - Wild Cutthroat
Beehive Reservoir - Internet says it has Rainbows and Tigers.

Honorable Mention was Lake Wenatchee if the wind isn't too bad.

Any intel on these stillwaters or other that someone is willing to share? Any recent reports from any of these lakes? Feel free to DM me if you prefer not to share your information to the public.

Thanks,
Peach
 
Regarding Fish Lake, be very careful of the winds that can blow hard around noon. Zero to whitecaps in seconds.
 
Last edited:
There's nothing that comes to mind which requires no walk, or only a walk of 1 mile. If you want a desert steppe environment, check out Dusty Lake near Quincy. If the weather is nice enough, I'd consider just going to 8mile lake on consecutive days - you could leave your fishing stuff up there and not have much of a pack/weight.
 
The Cove at Fish Lake is a cool old-school fishing resort. Big lake for a tube, but they rent aluminum boats. RCF speaks the truth. Watch the wind. And if it's the prevailing west wind you'll end up at the wrong end pretty quick.
Give the Cove a call and see if they have a fishing report.
Highly recommend Stein for a brew or cider. Great selection and setup. Have fun!
 
Thanks for the recommendation! I did make the drive to Fish Lake, my first visit to this lake I initially drove into the Cove Resort and few people were milling around and saw a couple of boats on the water, but I just wasn't "feeling it" and I didn't want to pay the $10 dollars just to launch my Fat Cat Float Tube. Plus there was still some smoke in the area from that huge Little Giant Fire. I did do a half hearted search for the public launch but couldn't find it. Lot of private property and cabins up there, not great access, so ended up not fishing it. Instead, made my first visit to Lake Wentachee near the outlet and casted a line from the shore for a couple of hours, but no love.

But the following day had a great day on the hike in lake catching some nice Cutthroat. The day after that I hiked into a couple of stunning lakes, not a lot of fish caught but the scenery was simply stunning. Think Ancient greek mythology :) as a hint.

But thanks again for the help.

Peach
 
Back
Top