Official Beach Line Thread

What is your favorite beach taper? Pick one for coho and/or SRC.


  • Total voters
    95
Not cheap at $131 US, but it is PVC free and folks over there make some cool gear for their sea trout fishing. It does come in some different configurations. I wish they made a 6 wt with a type 3 head.
SF

 
Not cheap at $131 US, but it is PVC free and folks over there make some cool gear for their sea trout fishing. It does come in some different configurations. I wish they made a 6 wt with a type 3 head.
SF

I’m pretty sure @KFCDAVE has one of these lines in the 7 wt type 3. Maybe he can chime in on how it’s worked for him.
 
Not cheap at $131 US, but it is PVC free and folks over there make some cool gear for their sea trout fishing. It does come in some different configurations. I wish they made a 6 wt with a type 3 head.
SF

I do own a line from this company but it is the "Meri" in 7wt type 3. https://visionflyfishing.com/products/meri-fly-line?variant=46678056042823 I've only fished it a handful of times and hooked about 3 coho on it so I can't speak on the durability of it. I like how it casts on my 7wt TFO Blitz but it felt clunky on my 6wt Boost Blue. I like the metal tippet ring on the front end of the line, it gives me some faith in it's longevity.

My main line is still the SA Titan int-3-5 in 7wt which casts and sinks beautifully on my TFO Blitz. It's beginning to form cracks all over the sink 3 portion but I'm hoping it will last through this month. I did purchase a Cortland Fo-Tech type 5 as my backup. There's not much info on it online but its on sale right now so I figured it give it a shot. https://www.cortlandline.com/products/fotechtype5?variant=45877526215
 
rio-aqualux-premier-intermediate-fly-line-20671-p.jpg

I was very skeptical when this $99 Rio intermediate line was recommended to me as a Puget Sound beach salmon fly line. I was wrong to hesitate. It has performed extremely well this saltwater salmon season! It casts quickly and smoothly with very few tangle issues. The 7wt, 240g version matches nicely with my Scott Meridian. Check it out if you are looking. This Fall I'm eager to use the 6wt version for searun cutthroat, etc.

Rio AquqLux Intermediate 7wt.jpg
 
View attachment 193506

I was very skeptical when this $99 Rio intermediate line was recommended to me as a Puget Sound beach salmon fly line. I was wrong to hesitate. It has performed extremely well this saltwater salmon season! It casts quickly and smoothly with very few tangle issues. The 7wt, 240g version matches nicely with my Scott Meridian. Check it out if you are looking. This Fall I'm eager to use the 6wt version for searun cutthroat, etc.

View attachment 193507

Is it seal proof? 😂
SF
 
View attachment 193506

I was very skeptical when this $99 Rio intermediate line was recommended to me as a Puget Sound beach salmon fly line. I was wrong to hesitate. It has performed extremely well this saltwater salmon season! It casts quickly and smoothly with very few tangle issues. The 7wt, 240g version matches nicely with my Scott Meridian. Check it out if you are looking. This Fall I'm eager to use the 6wt version for searun cutthroat, etc.

View attachment 193507
Thanks for the tip. Are you pairing the 7wt line to a 6 or 7wt Meridian?
 
Interesting. 240 g = a 9 wt at 30' under AFTMA "usual" standards. Is the Meridian a "stiff as a fireplace poker" kind of rod?
The Scott Meridian 6wt is a beloved fast action saltwater fly rod that is more like a 7wt. It is not at all a stiff fireplace poker like certain Sage models of past years. I wish I had purchased two of them, they are very hard to find on the used market.
 
The current Aqualux II lines are surprisingly similar to the OBS lines. Head length is the same at 30', but the OBS is heavier for a given line weight and the shape of the head is sorta reversed. See attached JPG

I found an 8wt Aqualux II on sale at STP last year and it cast nicely on a 7wt Z-Axis.

Beach Lines JPG.jpg
 
Back
Top