Fish Camp

Fish Camp is how our place on the Oregon Coast is described by friends and family as they converge to partake in the fall salmon season. Having three salmon producing estuaries within 30 minutes drive is a true luxury. Dan and I worked together with CA DFW for much of our careers. Dan was the waterfowl programs coordinator during much of that time.

We do this trip every fall. Usually our friend Don participates but he had to cancel last minute due to a nasty virus.

aaf5fe41-af6a-4f37-853c-b837053a7ea1.jpg

Many of the Oregonians in our group will recognize the spots. They are no secret and extremely popular during this time of the year. Fly fishing the tidewater in the fall requires a different mindset - you're rarely fishing alone. We shared most of our Day 1 spot with a couple of bobber boats and some bankies. We targeted a tidal hole that was full of chinook but none were in the grabbing mood.

71f5b2e3-0461-437c-b590-d11eb0f874e0.jpg

I did manage a first for me along this section of coast. A juvenile American Shad.

3825e62d-46e9-4a24-8515-24d205a7c708.jpg

On our way back to the ramp, we encountered a school of coho. In this photo, Dan is chatting with an Oregon State Police wildlife officer that was walking the bank and checking anglers (including us).

2b4f379b-ac61-453f-8d18-e86e0493a056.jpg

These coho were in the biting mood for a change and we managed to hook four in about 45 minutes.

952adea9-4631-4bb6-bd35-eaecc42c010c.jpg

b2a72f60-14c4-4c9d-8ecb-108efc3c1f66.jpg

The next day was a wild coho harvest day on one of the estuaries so that was where we ended up. Luck was again with us as we again found more willing coho and harvested two while catching two more.

3b288f95-34be-4b2e-80d9-8267b0cd46a4.jpg

Fishing next to Jack Harrell is always a pleasure and we got to hang out with him on both Day 2 and Day 3. I think Dan is telling him a story about me...

ebc68747-ac9b-4da3-ac4a-85ce7db1d01f.jpg

While the chinook didn't cooperate on this trip - we had excellent coho fishing all three days. In my experience - it's a timing thing. If you happen to be in a spot with fresh in from the ocean coho - you'll get grabbed. I am already looking forward to our 2027 get together.
 
I’m trying to figure out tide waters in my area. How are you fishing those?

Fast strip?

Twitching on the swing?

Try to keep it in the bottom half of the water column?

with a bit of dynamite?? 🙃
A combination of all of those except maybe the last one :LOL:. First thing I learned when I started doing this is that it's most importante to figure out where the fish are. For coho, they seem to usually be in the upper part of the water column. Think floating and hover lines with long leaders. Spring chinook tend to hold shallower while fall fish are a bit deeper. If I am sharing a hole with a bunch of bobber guys - I sometimes ask what depth they are getting bites. I usually pack two to three rods to cover various depth options. Having a fly box with clousers of various weights also isn't a bad idea.

As far as retrieving goes - I probably don't mix it up as much as I should. Yes to stripping on the swing, with some shorter twitches blended with longer strips. The hang down is critical and fish often grab after hanging for a considerable amount of time. Jack Harrell is the one that encouraged me to fish this way and it works. If I want a break and I know there are fish below me - I cast and let it hang.... sometimes for 10 or 15 minutes. Jack said back when he was guiding and had clients that weren't to adept to casting - this technique was his go to. He calls it "swimming the fly". Last week at one spot on the incoming tide, we were in a hog line and everyone was fishing on the hang.
 
Back
Top