Somebody asked me a while back the age old question "if you didn't need any money, what would you like to spend your time on?" My answer is ultimately this kind of thing. I see a path where the tribes regulate sport and commercial fishing explicitly. Maybe one where the state is entirely removed from the picture.
There is so much that tribal members and sport fishers have in common, including the non-consumptive "players of food." We want more fish. We want wild and undeveloped places to pursue them. We want dams pulled down and less open ocean fishing. We want fish blocking culverts and infrastructure replaced while fish still swim there.
The state is and always has been an impediment to these goals. I'd love to find a path that allowed the tribes to monetize their take in ways that kept that take out of nets. I'd sure as shit pay the sauk-suiattle tribe to fish the skagit in winter and spring.
The animosity between tribes and sport fishermen is the biggest obstacle to sport fishing in Washington. I'm old enough, barely, to remember when nearly every sport fisherman routinely ambushed, obstructed and worked against tribal fisherman as a matter of course. Its not that way anymore, but anyone who is upset at the tribes for not allowing sport fishing is making Billy Frank Jr piss his pants in his grave.
Salmon have never been just food, they have always been wealth. The state has always treated them as such, protecting commercial interests first by removing the natives from the grounds, then by using taxpayer dollars to create more fish for APA.
We sport and state commercial guys fish on a stolen half of the quota. Boldt solidified that theft. 100 years before Boldt, 100% of the fish were available to the tribes to use as they saw fit. Foor food, for ceremony, for trade, for wealth accumulation.
I know anyone who fished in the 50s-90s likely considers these thoughts suicidal to sport fishing. Maybe they are. But from where I sit the state is doing a shit job of allocating their stolen half, and maybe the tribes would do better managing all of it.