central washington lake report

dep

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
fished a popular lake in the Beverly area yesterday and did quite well.
shared the lake with 7 other people, some were from the Seegar walker bay team.
they were chiro fishing and doing really good. one of them was always hooked up it seemed.
started fishing about 9:00 and the fish were active. got into fish right away and for the next 3 hours.
I like to cast while slow moving and retrieve my intermediate line and it was very effective.
I use a fly I tie that is like a bugger/leech with purple in the body. I call it purple haze.
spinners were on the surface and I added a small hares ear below the purple haze and it was the ticket.
the bite died down about noon for about an hour and picked up again.
the hares ear eventually out fished the haze.
bright sunny day, no wind and the lake was not too weedy. plenty of open water to fish.

this report may bring the crowds out, but it is a public lake for people to enjoy.
I did.

dp
 
Thanks for the report. I was at the same lake as you the day before (Thursday). Got in the lake about 11:30 and fished until 3:30. Day was beautiful, very little wind and the water was clear and I measured the temp at 60.5 F degrees. A decent callibaetis hatch was on when I first got on but then the damsel came out in full force and I focused on them using a damsel nymph on an intermediate line. Caught a few using that method but the fish just didn't seemed keyed onto them. Those same guys using chrominoid under and indicator were just destroying them, so I did cave in & fished some chrominoid using my Type V line and did better then. 7 guys where on the lake as well on that day. Fun day and the first time I have fished that lake since 2020. Good to be back, seemed like the fish were a little bit bigger and a bit feistier than my last trip there 6 years ago, but I still miss those hogs that were in there in the early 2000s. Broken record, I know.

I did hit the other lake down the road for the first time ever. I just wanted to try it out for the first time. Nobody else on the lake (no surprise). Also no surprise, caught plenty of perch and even a Pumpkinseed. Water temp also 60.5 F. I gave it a shot for an hour but I couldn't shake the feeling that I could be doing better at the other lake up the road, so I bailed to get up there and as I was coming in (last cast of course) I did hook into my first trout there but lost him at the net. Again, beautiful morning and the lake looked great, but the results were discouraging. Not sure if WDFW can do anything to fix that lake. Sigh.

I spent the previous two days up doing some fishing around Quincy Wildlife area before the gate closes and some of the lakes on September 30th. Hit one of the popular normal regulation lakes on Tuesday and caught plenty of perch but a few nice trout as well. On Wednesday made the hike down the hill and did well at that lake. Nothing too large, but had the lake all to myself and again perfect weather. I did better when I hit it April.

Fun trip overall!

Peach
 
Back
Top