Jeff Dodd
Steelhead
I got away from home this week to fish a not-so-secret lake in Central Washington. It’s just a beautiful setting and a great place to try out my Spratley aluminum Jon boat. I also enjoyed fishing alongside another member that I’ve seen here and at Pass Lake.
Yesterday the wind cranked up to Medium -High around 3pm. Before that though, the bite came on in spurts & it seemed all of the 8-10 boats got into nice big trout.
I had a shallow bay to myself in the late morning and landed several fish casting and stripping. One was in the 18-20” and healthy. With the shallow water, I enjoyed exciting long runs through the weed beds. A fly I first learned about on WFF, Platte River Spider, was working well in this bay. (See Charley’s Fly Box) I’ve had success with this fly during Fall Stillwater season and some great days in the salt, fishing searun cutthroat.
A combination of size 14-16 chironomids, leeches & bloodworms had their turn working under the indicator, and naked on a hover line! That’s a different kind of fun I will use this technique more now.
Some prime examples of the fish are shared below. I’ve had my last cup of coffee and aim waiting for the wind to slow this morning.




Yesterday the wind cranked up to Medium -High around 3pm. Before that though, the bite came on in spurts & it seemed all of the 8-10 boats got into nice big trout.
I had a shallow bay to myself in the late morning and landed several fish casting and stripping. One was in the 18-20” and healthy. With the shallow water, I enjoyed exciting long runs through the weed beds. A fly I first learned about on WFF, Platte River Spider, was working well in this bay. (See Charley’s Fly Box) I’ve had success with this fly during Fall Stillwater season and some great days in the salt, fishing searun cutthroat.
A combination of size 14-16 chironomids, leeches & bloodworms had their turn working under the indicator, and naked on a hover line! That’s a different kind of fun I will use this technique more now.
Some prime examples of the fish are shared below. I’ve had my last cup of coffee and aim waiting for the wind to slow this morning.



