Carp have moved to deeper water?

Buzzy

wannabe legend
Forum Supporter
Or so it seems. The big, skinny flat that's been quite productive has been almost void of fish the past couple outings, including today. It seems the countless divots in the mud all have algae growing in the bottom of the divot - I translate this to mean they're not fresh. No cloopers, almost no schmoots and until about 2:00 PM almost no wind. The wind picked up enough that it with me standing in my pram, I was moving far to fast up lake; by the time I'd see a fish I was almost on top of it. Time to call it a day:
IMG_8281.jpeg
This little boat works really well for carp if I don't have to motor or row very far. I straddle the Fish-On seat which puts my eyes about 7-feet above the lake surface. Of course, carp can see me as well, but I'm hunting for carp that are focused on the mud; mudding (tailing) or vaccuming sediment, especially the latter.

I worked the big flat over - not quite barren of fish but almost. The shorelines were also short of fish. I found them feeding in water that was 3-feet deep or a bit more than that.

This was a productive fly:
size 10 hybrid.jpeg


IMG_8271.jpeg

Most of the fish were on the small size, four to six pounds. The water is cooling off and they're easier to get to the net (unless fouled). One fish, while not a beast, was noticeably heavier than all the others.

IMG_8279.jpeg

Last week I told my buddy Nick that I was putting away the carp gear; done until next year when I'll look for hungry pre-spawn fish. I guess I changed my mind. Six into the net, two lost, one foul hooked and I watched two fish chasing the fly but not able to catch up (the wind was carrying my pram away - sure funny watching the carp trying to cloop the fleeing hybrid.

IMG_8270.jpeg
 
Back
Top