Boat Positioning for SRC

Curious to hear from those chasing beach-oriented SRC from boats. Is the spot-lock trolling motor the only practical way to effectively position a boat for these fish? Are you ever able to just drift at an appropriate pace/distance to cast? Do you ever anchor/stake out at a point or creek mouth? Or is a boat without a spot lock trolling motor just wasting its time?
Ive never had it on my boat, I fish out of a jet sled. It definitely would be nice and Ive been in boats that have it but i wouldnt say its necessary by any means. Ive spent thousands of hours on the sound in the sled and never have any issues catching fish. Sure sometimes I drift in too close or get blown around but its never been a deal breaker ever. If i had an expensive whaler or something like that I would probably get one just to ensure i dont hit something drifting with the tide down the beach.
 
Back
Top