Best Low Budget Fly Rods And Reels???

Old406Kid

Legend
I'm not looking for a pity party but I lost all of my quality rods/reels, etc. in the recent Spokane fires other than a special Powell that I built for my wife and a 11' Meiser switch that I also built.
At 77 years old I just can't justify replacing a lifetime collection of Sages, Orvis, Powell, Loomis, Echo, and even some decent Cabela's rods and reels with stuff of equal quality. We lost everything we owned so there are a lot of higher priority items that need to be replaced before toys.
Right now I can't focus on fishing but I'm looking for a couple of budget friendly 5 and 6 wt. rod and reel suggestions.
 
Last edited:
It's really tough to find a non-functional rod at even super cheap price-points these days. If I were in a pinch and just needed a trout rod, I'd just look for a Redington CT (only because I feel like it outperforms it's price point and have owned one in the past), but there are tons of others out there that would really do the job. For reels? any line-holder would do, like an old Medalist or Cortland Crown or whatever....
 
I'm not looking for a pity party but I lost all of my quality rods/reels, etc. in the recent Spokane fires other than a special Powell that I built for my wife and a 11' Meiser switch that I also built.
At 77 years old I just can't justify replacing a lifetime collection of Sages, Orvis, Powell, Loomis, Echo, and even some decent Cabela's rods and reels with stuff of equal quality. We lost everything we owned so there are a lot of higher priority items that need to be replaced before toys.
Looking for a couple of budget friendly 5 and 6 wt. rod and reel suggestions.
If you can get over to Lynnwood (or if someone can get it to you) I'll give you a decent 5 or 6wt rod with a reel and line.
 
I’ve gotten a couple Aventik reels…a 3 wt and a 7/8.


Honestly they look like a complete copy of a couple Echo reels I have. I’ve used the 3 wt a bunch but the 7/8 not so much. That said I’m happy with them.

Because I was okay with the reels. I went ahead and bought one of their fly lines….at ~ $21 for the reel and ~$11 for a full sink I figured I couldn’t go wrong. Haven’t used the line yet so no opinion there.


I think @Pink Nighty got some Maxxon gear after his vehicle got broken into a couple years ago…maybe he’ll chime in
 
So I've gone the very cheap route off amazon to build a couple switch setups and get my girls going. Talkin rod, reel and line for under 100.... they work. Just flat out. Not as well as or as aesthetically pleasing as other combos, but it were talking throwing fake bugs to stab fish they flat get it done. If you search

They'll get you fishing, man. For anyone else reading this, @Pink Nighty has spent more than a year of mortgages at the confluence fly shop and I suggest you do that at your local shop before giving bezos your fly fishing dollars.
 
Couple of questions....

2, 3 or 4 piece rods? Doesn't matter?

Moderate or fast action? Doesn't matter?

Dry, wet or streamers? All of them?

Trout is your target, or ?

Are you still tying? Need materials?
 
Last edited:
Maybe reach out to Nick Moses who now owns R. B. Meiser? I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he had something affordable he could offer to replace your switch rod. I think it's worth a shot - Nick is an incredible young man.
 
Maybe reach out to Nick Moses who now owns R. B. Meiser? I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he had something affordable he could offer to replace your switch rod. I think it's worth a shot - Nick is an incredible young man.
Fortunately the Meiser switch is one of the two that made it.
 
The Fly Shop, ( Redding, California) H2O Freshwater Combo set ups, are top notch, at a Fair Price. Been using them and referring people to them for about 20 years.

Sorry your going through this.

Bob
 
I second the Redington Classic Trout rods, but then I prefer the early graphite rods with slower action. Easy casting, good performing and cheap.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Zak
Back
Top