A bit rusty...

Replicant

Life of the Party
A rough start of the season, but we managed to pull it together by the end of the morning. I was out of shape and she was a little bonkers. Birds were jumpy, and as I avoid shooting birds that aren't properly pointed, I ended up letting a lot of them go. Her first proper point, early in the morning led to me flushing a covey that yielded some young birds. Too young. A few chicks popped out of the cover. Of course I didn't shoot, but I thought it odd in that I have never seen chicks this late in the year. A few more points on singles and I kept missing. I'm no Annie Oakley, but I don't suck as much as I did on that walk. We took a short break to get the princess to calm down and for me to work on my gun mount. Once we started our walk again, I felt the vibration of my remote and looked down to see that she was on point, just twenty feet to my right. When I found her in the thick cover, she was like a statue. Rock solid point. I went in and out popped a male. Got it. We did that a few more times. She's back and better than ever, and I was finally hitting the birds. If it wasn't for the heat, we would have kept going. But, with both water bottles empty (his and hers), I called it before noon. Hoping to get out a few more times before I take off to Montana later in the month. Maybe I will be in better shape by then...

tempImageeiZajR.jpg
 
Back
Top