Lamson liquid 3-packs gotta be the best bang for the buck for a proven quality reel. I saw some echo carbon and ion rods on sale online the other day too. Can’t remember where but I bet Google does.
I have been looking for 12wt intermediate lines but no luck. I have a couple 12 floaters and some fast sinkers but nothing in between.
Fishpond packs look great but I picked up a Dryft pack so I gotta hold off.
Instead of mono I've used braid, intruder wire, or even Dacron backing. You'll find a material that has the stiffness you like. I've also tied them on shanks instead of sacrificing a hook in the front.
Hook-wise, something with a turned eye seems to work well when looped onto the stinger loop...
Also huge Echo fan. Boost Blue was my favorite for SRC and coho until I found the 84B lineup. Luckily I have a spare busted tip from my BB 6wt so I guess it's about an 8'4" now ;)
Random trivial tidbit: I was standing next to Jim Cotton when he took that photo. Oct 21, 2010 big mixed up group of Risso's, melon headed whales, rough toothed dolphins, and Fraser's dolphins.
There are plenty of examples of what we used to do that would never fly today.
One of many papers that discusses population trends and conservation challenges. Google scholar for plenty more...
Looks like great trip! I will say that bigger boats like that tend to make folks more sick than smaller faster boats like the day trippers out of Westport. Slow + diesel + rollers can be a bad combo for those who are prone to seasickness.