Search results

  1. P

    3D Reel #2!

    I just popped another fly reel off the printer from a different web site. It’s a little rough compared to the other, (the fish don’t care!) ..but should buff out nicely. It’s got a set of 696 ball bearings in it, and spins beautifully… I just need a way of slowing it down, no drag or clicker…
  2. P

    Fly reels & 3D printers

    The PETG-CF carbon fiber filament was about $25 a spool..... and I think you could make 8-10 reels from it. The stainless steel nut, bolt, and screw is about $1.00.. so pretty cheap to build a reel. Should be fun for the fish I catch! (the printer is a little spendy.. $379 on sale...)
  3. P

    Fly reels & 3D printers

    It’s a wrap…or print in this case. I used this download: https://www.printables.com/model/1293989-fly-reel And with the Flashforge Adventurer 5M Pro printer, a .4 nozzle, PETG-CF filament (carbon fiber), ss screws, nuts and bolts, ….it took about 3 hours to print. I’d recommend 100% fill for...
  4. P

    Fly reels & 3D printers

    The short version…. You download a program to a flash drive, choose a filament, (in this case carbon fiber for strength) .. and hit the start button. For the fly reel, there’s 3 different prints for the parts, and takes about 2 hours to complete. I did have to buy some ss nuts, screws, and bolts...
  5. P

    Fly reels & 3D printers

    Starting to figure out how this works… I had help.😊 It does make a pretty nice fly reel! I’ll post some details in a couple days.
  6. P

    Fly reels & 3D printers

    I’m in the building fly reel bidness….! 😁
  7. P

    Fly reels & 3D printers

    I need to figure out how to turn it on first…😁
  8. P

    Fly reels & 3D printers

    Wow… my daughter got me a 3D printer for Christmas! A little research and I found a fly reel can be made from the carbon fiber filament…! A report to follow…
  9. P

    Fiberglass Friday

    The boys liked the fly rods…!
  10. P

    The collapsed volcano report..

    Weather gave us a break today, so Austin and I made the short drive to our local collapsed volcano to catch a few fish! As luck would have it, at the ramp I fell in launching the boats…you might have heard me! The water was 47*! (and I was soaking wet) Not one to give up early… we went fishing...
  11. P

    Fiberglass Friday

    Haha… they can use the reels! I’ve actually built them both real nice bamboo rods, but they’ve got to grow into them. 😊
  12. P

    Fiberglass Friday

    Fiberglass Friday! (actually it’s Saturday) I built my Grandsons a couple fiberglass fly rods for Christmas.. Cal’s on top, Austin’s on the bottom. Both are “S” glass, 7’6”, 4-5wts, and are rocket launchers…. they cast beautifully! Now all we need is a couple fish to put a bend in them…
  13. P

    December largemouth bass

    A little #12 olive bugger.
  14. P

    December largemouth bass

    Finally… the rain gave us a break on the West side (for one day at least) ..so I made a run up to the local flooded rock pit to see if it was fishable. The water was fairly dirty, about 2’ visability, but I tried it for a few hours anyway. And glad I did.. I caught the bass in about the same...
  15. P

    Shad smolt migration

    Thanks for the information, Paul. I might have been a month late, but the fish were still hungry. I’ll try it again next year a month or so earlier. Pretty hard to beat the Spring when they’re getting ready to spawn!
  16. P

    Shad smolt migration

    I recently read an article saying that after a good Fall storm, (like we had this past weekend), the millions of shad smolt (1-3” baby white bait fish) will start their migration down the Columbia River to the sea. That’s all I needed, along with a good weather forecast (light winds and 62*...
  17. P

    Columbia Smallmouth Bass

    Look at the lack of Stars and Stripes on this bass. Google says it’s because of hanging out on a sandy bottom. Interesting… but I caught other bass close to that spot with the usual tiger stripes. Almost looks like a different species…thoughts?
  18. P

    Columbia Smallmouth Bass

    Most of the water East and West Washington is too warm for trout, so I made a run upriver this morning and terrorized the smallmouth bass. Beautiful day for it, and the bass were hungry! If you had one fly… make it a chartreuse and white baitfish. This damn bee terrorized me…until he went for a...
  19. P

    2025 Tuna and Exotics

    You guys have me fired up to do another albacore trip! Four of us went out about 12 years ago, and all of us caught tuna on a fly. We caught some trolling, but the most fun was chumming with live anchovies and casting to them!
  20. P

    The collapsed Volcano report..

    Hahaha… also double's as a float in case the big one yanks it out of his grip! 😊
Back
Top