Search results

  1. Dave Westburg

    Bamboo in Jackson Hole

    A must stop in Jackson Hole is Jackson drug for a cowboy coffee shake and a bison burger
  2. Dave Westburg

    Bamboo in Jackson Hole

    Everyone says you need to drift the snake to find good fishing but that’s not true in fall when flows drop. The gros ventre and hoback are wadeable and fished great. And then there there were the creeks. We did well on one creek and were skunked on another.
  3. Dave Westburg

    Bamboo in Jackson Hole

    Spent the past week with some friends chasing Snake River cutts. Cold mornings but it warmed to 70 in the afternoon. A 9' Payne 206 5 weight bamboo rod was a delight swinging soft hackles through 200 yard long riffles or throwing Adams dry flies into the wind against ripraps. The big...
  4. Dave Westburg

    JMoon 6116

    A great looking rod. Welome to the spliced bamboo club. Hockey tape works but it can leave a residue. Tom Bowden suggested clear electrical tape to me. It works great, holds securely and doesn't leave a residue. When you wrap the rod you should go it in spirals which don't overlap or a...
  5. Dave Westburg

    Bamboo and fall cutthroat

    Winston would do personalization for people - different wraps and inscriptions. My rod, for instance, has the inscription “Canadian Rainbows Ltd.”
  6. Dave Westburg

    Bamboo and fall cutthroat

    You are giving a clinic in how to avoid the dreaded j curve when landing a big cutt
  7. Dave Westburg

    Bamboo and fall cutthroat

    You’ve caught cutts where we fished…
  8. Dave Westburg

    Bamboo and fall cutthroat

    Headed to a sea run cutthroat river yesterday. Heavy wind all day. We had to stop to clear the road once... I and my friends each fished winston 9' 4 and 7/8's ounce 6/7 weight bamboo fly rods. They are great at making the long casts which this bigger river allows and have the backbone to...
  9. Dave Westburg

    Sage Sonic

    @Salmo_g do tell how you managed to break the tip. I hope it was playing a big fish!
  10. Dave Westburg

    Small creek fishing

    Gaia has helped me find some streams
  11. Dave Westburg

    Small creek fishing

    Grew up fishing the Lake Washington creek in my backyard so have a fondness for small streams. I've had better small stream fishing on the east slope of the cascades. The streams seem to be lower gradient and there's a longer growing season. There are some gems... The small streams...
  12. Dave Westburg

    Sea Run Cutthroat in rivers. What's your jam?

    I fish the classic wets. Butcher, Fiery Brown, Dunkeld, Peter Ross... Irish shrimp flies on small trebles when I'm going to keep Cowlitz hatchery cutts... A sparse Brad's Brat in honor of Enos Bradner... Classic new england streamers like the Chief Needabah or Col Bates or White...
  13. Dave Westburg

    Solo trip to the dry side...

    That’s one healthy trout!
  14. Dave Westburg

    Bamboo on Tom Fulk's Creek

    Each fall I hike to the North Cascades Creek which my 7' Tom Fulk 5 weight bamboo rod is named for. This is a wild stream with ice cold water and nothing but elk tracks on the bank. The morning started slow but we found wild cutts on size 12-14 Adams and Humpies as the water warmed up...
  15. Dave Westburg

    Bamboo and a break in the smoke

    I can testify that the fly works!
  16. Dave Westburg

    Bamboo and a break in the smoke

    Mike, Speyflyfisher outfished me on the day. He used one of his own secret flies and a Monsos bamboo rod. Look at this cast.
  17. Dave Westburg

    Bamboo and a break in the smoke

    The golden scud is a Steve Raymond pattern. You can find the tying details in his book Kamloops. I found a scud in a boat at Meadow lakes fishing camp which had a couple strands of olive flashabou tied over the body before the clear shellback is pulled over and secured by tinsel. I think the...
  18. Dave Westburg

    Bamboo and a break in the smoke

    I tie the marabou damsels the same as self bodied careys except that I don't put any hackle on the fly.
  19. Dave Westburg

    Bamboo and a break in the smoke

    You have the drift Zak. Tie in a long natural pheasant feather by the tip for the tail and also tie some oval silver or gold tinsel at the tail. Wind the pheasant feather forward in broad turns to the front and then counter rib with the tinsel. Use a second feather for the hackle. I...
  20. Dave Westburg

    Bamboo and a break in the smoke

    Since my trip with Speyflyfisher I've added some size 12-14 pheasant tail nymphs and hares ear nymphs to my lake fly wallet so I have an option when the fish are looking for callibaetis nymphs.
Back
Top