Search results

  1. Cabezon

    NFR Got any Herp pictures?

    The introduction of the American bullfrog (Lithobates catesbeianus) from eastern North America to the West Coast have been a catastrophe for many native aquatic species. As opportunistic predators, adults will consume almost any animals that can fit in their mouth. While the biologists at...
  2. Cabezon

    Got any bird pics?

    Great blue herons – silent assassins. For such a large bird, great blue herons are such effective, stealthy hunters. They are lethal when stalking small rodents in grasslands and they are major threats to nearshore fishes. I observed the latter on a recent visit to the Billie Frank Jr...
  3. Cabezon

    Strange, weird or odd or whatever beach finds thread….

    You were fortunate. There are poison glands at the base of the serrated dorsal spine. The venom has been reported to be painful in humans, but not deadly. But there were several deceased harbor seals that had eaten spotted ratfish; the hypothesis is that the sharp spine penetrated their...
  4. Cabezon

    Strange, weird or odd or whatever beach finds thread….

    On my last visit to Nisqually NWR, a dead spotted ratfish, Hydrolagus colliei, was washed up on the mudflat. I have no idea of the cause of death. While other ratfish species are more typically found in deep water, I have encountered spotted ratfish several times while diving in the San Juan...
  5. Cabezon

    Got any bird pics?

    Birds of the Salish Sea: Part 3: Gulls. One might encounter up to 23 gull species (family Laridae which also includes terns, noddies, and skimmers) in Washington state. While often easy photographic subjects, confident identification can be challenging. I just don’t even bother with...
  6. Cabezon

    Got any bird pics?

    Birds of the Salish Sea: Part 2: Cormorants. There are 40ish species of cormorants (likely derived from the Latin corvus marinus = “ravens” of the “sea”) and shags (which refers to the crest that some species have in the breeding season) in the family Phalacrocoracidae. All cormorants dive to...
  7. Cabezon

    Got any bird pics?

    Birds of the Salish Sea: Part 1: Alcids. The pictures here are primarily from a wildlife tour of the Cattle Pass area (south end of Lopez and San Juan Islands) that my wife, my brother-in-law, and I did in late July and a puffin-cruise out of Port Townsend to Smith Island in early September. We...
  8. Cabezon

    NFR Humor (No political jokes)

    In one of Larson's anthologies (my wife and I have a VERY thorough collection), he mentions that he received a very unhappy message from the Jane Goodall organization when this comic was first published. He was concerned that he had offended someone whom he greatly admired. But he was later...
  9. Cabezon

    Damsels and Dragons

    As summer winds down, adult dragonflies and damselflies will reach the ends of their life spasn. These master hunters of the air may soon be gone, but their equally voracious offspring will be terrorizing aquatic communities through the winter until it is their time to emerge next spring and...
  10. Cabezon

    Butterflies and Moths

    Mt. Rainier NP pollinators. One of the highlights of living in the PNW is the summer flush of wildflowers in the subalpine and alpine meadows of Mt. Rainier National Park These include one of my favorite groups of plants, the louseworts in the genus Pedicularis, such as this bird’s beak...
  11. Cabezon

    Got any bird pics?

    While I was visiting family on Lopez Island this summer, I heard a VERY upset male robin repeatedly calling. I thought that there must be a hawk or an owl close to its nest. Armed with binocs and camera, I scanned the lower branches of the Douglas first near the robin and picked out a barred owl...
  12. Cabezon

    A Noob's First Time Chasing Tuna

    Great report. I'm so happy that you guys made a marginal day work out so well. Until next year... Steve
  13. Cabezon

    Westport Tuna, 15 September 2025

    Tuna trip, Westport, 16 September 2025. This would be my third, and final, tuna trip of the season. The trips on Sunday had been cancelled, but the conditions had improved enough that we could head out with Chance as captain and Victor as deckhand. The other three anglers were experienced...
  14. Cabezon

    Westport Tuna, 11 September 2025

    Yes, I believe that they were Bonaparte's gulls still in breeding plumage. These images are from Semiahmoo this spring. In non-breeding plumage, the head is white with a dark dot at the "ear" (see left individual). The larger gull is a glaucous-winged gull. Steve
  15. Cabezon

    Westport Tuna, 11 September 2025

    I did not, but I believe that @JayB dropped off his catch for processing by Merino's. I did purchase a full bucket of shaved ice from them for $3 to keep the loins and bellies cold. Steve
  16. Cabezon

    Westport Tuna, 11 September 2025

    Tuna trip, 11 September 2025. It was time for tuna trip 2 of 3. The forecast was reasonable: waves up to 4 feet and winds less than 10 knots. It was primarily overcast all day, but comfortable. After passing by the bar, Chance (our captain) set a course to the southwest and we zoomed southwest...
  17. Cabezon

    Tuna trip, 2 September 2025

    Tuna, 2 September 2025. “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.” It was certainly a schizophrenic day. The team left the foggy dock at Westport shortly after 6AM. The fishers were @jasmillo, @SilverFly , Silverfly’s BIL, and me. After picking up two brails of live anchovies...
  18. Cabezon

    Got any bird pics?

    Yes, I agree with the ID of spotted sandpiper in non-breeding / juvenile plumage. According to All About Birds, another possiblity might be a solitary sandpiper. But a solitary sandpiper in non-breeding plumage would have white spots at the tips of its feathers and its bill is dark. As in...
  19. Cabezon

    Satsop Sea-Run Cutthroat - Free Boat Ride

    Hi MM, That is an excellent update. I hadn't floated the Satsop in a decade. Your current information shows just how much a dynamic river can change in that time. Steve
  20. Cabezon

    Satsop Sea-Run Cutthroat - Free Boat Ride

    Hi Steven, My friends and I have floated the Satsop several times in our pontoon boats, typically during the chum / coho runs of October. Over the years, we have drifted from Shaffer State Park to the Chehalis, albeit not in one go. A typical float might be from the Hwy. 12 boat launch (at the...
Back
Top