Recent content by Hoofer

  1. Hoofer

    Northern Estuaries on The Island

    Shout out Campbell River, and Ripple Rock. Badass.
  2. Hoofer

    Northern Estuaries on The Island

    Thank you all for the kind words! This was a fun way to drop a birthday note to the Old Man, who was a fine guy. He was always better about writing. “I still don’t know why I fish or why other men fish, except that we like it and it makes us think and feel.” — Roderick Haig-Brown
  3. Hoofer

    Northern Estuaries on The Island

    One day, the week-before-last, I ate breakfast and loaded the car, then drove north-west as far as I could. I finally turned on to gravel three hours north of the ferry dock. I rolled in on the logging roads in light rain, getting tired, and saw a “Grizzly Spotted in Area” flyer on a tree at the...
  4. Hoofer

    What's in your vise?

    I’m getting pretty inspired by all of the magnificent fish in the Puget thread — and think I might head to the big Island, visit our Canadian friends. It seems like the Haig-Brown tradition is trouty, like a no. 8 rolled mudler is the old time bc coho pattern, where Sound traditions are much...
  5. Hoofer

    What's in your vise?

    Redtail Bluewing Trying to figure out a trip for next week, and torn between sipping trout and the chance of a bright fish on a beach somewhere north…
  6. Hoofer

    Solo trip to the dry side...

    The year I dropped out was rainy and I camped at S Junction, mainly drinking, but the sun came out one afternoon and I caught the three biggest trout I’ve ever seen out there. Or at least that’s how I remember it now.
  7. Hoofer

    SFR Old Trails Fire Update

    Oh man. This is just terrible. I’m sorry you and your neighbors are going through this. It’s a reminder to not take any of it for granted, but it’s also a brutal crime against Spokane.
  8. Hoofer

    John Day

    Wiki says record high flow on John Day is over 43k and the record low is …. zero. On multiple occasions. I was going to try to jump over the river one year deer hunting but it seemed like dumb thing to do with a rifle. But I’m not sure I’ve seen it under 100cfs. Really dry year.
  9. Hoofer

    What are you listening to?

    Mick Jagger, age 24. Don’t you worry bout whats on your mind, oh my I’m in no hurry, I can take my time, oh my. Also, the year Wilt turned 24 he was rookie of the year and got 55 rebounds against the Celtics, before the Warriors moved west.
  10. Hoofer

    What's in your vise?

    Glad you like it! Happy to get it on myflyvise. Gonna hold on that name for the moment, though. No reason to anger the fire gods…
  11. Hoofer

    What's in your vise?

    Tbd Caddis. Spent, with smoky possum wings and iris bobber.
  12. Hoofer

    What are the 5 most important and most used materials in your flies?

    Partridge Hares mask Antron Pheasant tail Nasty nasty funk mop 🤠
  13. Hoofer

    John Day

    Grab that 3-wt and pull like hell. We put a knob on a 6-footer. I’d go do that day again anytime.
  14. Hoofer

    Interior Alaska box?

    Awesome web site. Thank you. (And some of the egg/flesh patterns look familiar!) The mouse boxes really stir the imagination. I guess people fish mice around the nw but I never have. Sheefish look pretty great but I can’t imagine first timers doing anything with them. 40lb predatory...
  15. Hoofer

    Interior Alaska box?

    My niece and her boyfriend are off on a great adventure to interior Alaska in August and September working on a remote farm. I’d like to offer some fishing gear. They’ll be about 500 miles above saltwater. Sounds like it’s Dolly Varden country, with pike and sheefish. They haven’t fished...
Back
Top