YoY Low Summer Head Return

Divad

Whitefish
Well this time last year I could find runs holding a dozen fish easy with a couple keeping over 20-30 summer-run. Of the 3 streams I fish regularly, this year is a much sparser affair.

Going to check some odd spots this weekend but keeping expectations low unfortunately. Wonder if they’re sitting off the mouths, mulling about for better flows getting eaten.

Anybody else noticing this? Last summer felt like a huge run comparatively.

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The NU is closed until December 1st primarily due to low returns.
Had a space reserved at Susan Creek 9/11-15, then the Rogue which I need to make some phone calls

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
To me, YoY means young of year, or fish that hatched this Spring. But it sounds like you're talking about adult summer run steelhead?

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Rough week last week but overall the Columbia returns are about the same as last year. And well below the 10 year average... This is just wild over Bonnie.

Screenshot 2023-08-03 102606.jpg

Divad

Whitefish
Cowlitz returns appear to be up significantly over last year, but still low in contrast to a few years back.
Hmm compared to the others I’m fishing it seems opposite. Then again those rivers are operating at 20% less water than this time last year too 🫤 cowlitz at least is still fairly easily navigated for fish at 2300cfs.

Hopefully numbers start to trickle in in August