Winter Project - Steffen 8' 3/4 glass rod

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This winter I finished a project that had its origins a year ago when I was asked by Shane Gray to shoot a bunch of his rods to see if he might want to use my photos for his website. We gave it a big effort over a couple weeks of solid effort, but never quite hit what he envisioned. Even so, he came through with the promised Steffen 8' 3/4 blank we discussed as a fee, along with a nifty little Iwana fly reel.

I had heard that Steffen glass was a favorite of many folks, and the 8' 3/4 was the favorite configuration. But I had other projects and fishing to do, so I didn't make much progress on the build until last month and finally finished it out just a few days ago with the final varnish coat over the wraps. I chose red wraps finished semi-transparent, just like Shane's standard build, added an agate stripping guide and slide band seat. My attempt at scripts was pretty miserable, LOL, but it will certainly not be confused with a Gray built Steffen and there's something to be said for that.

It had its first lawn casting session. I put a 4wt Wulff Bamboo line on it and it was smooth and effortless out to 55-60' with a nice feel...all I'd want in a light rod. I have another 8' 4 wt that I love, a Leonard 50D, and honestly don't know if I'll hang onto this one or not, but time will tell. Pics below...